'Just give us a drink'

Had some welding done the other day and the lad said 'just give us a drink' when asked how much I owed.

So in the view of the assembled multitude, how much is that?

A fiver would buy most drinks. A tenner a reasonable bottle of wine. Twenty quid might cover an evenings drinking in a pub. And buy enough in a supermarket to get even an alcoholic paralytic.

I'd been quoted 35 quid by a firm that let me down so I made it 20. For less than ten minutes work.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

assuming you took the job to him where he was all setup ready etc..... should guarantee you good service next time - if likely then a wise investment IMHO.

JimK

Reply to
jim

Most of these sort of places seem to get through a lot of staff. The place I originally was going to use has changed hands each time I go there. And this time were closing down again...

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Well guvnor, there is 'a drink', a 'good drink', 'an ansome drink' and a 'nice little earner' innit?

:-)

You can get three for that in Tesco's!

Sounds exactly like 'a drink' to me. I reckon you got it dead right.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Depends on the work involved, sometimes i give a score and sometimes it's up to forty quid.

Reply to
Ray

I guess Wandsworth welders drink champers

Reply to
Stuart Noble

Sutton, actually. Couldn't find anyone local that could do the job. Or at least the one I did quoted a 3 month wait...

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

If you want to win some goodwill, buy him a bottle of whisky.

Reply to
RubberBiker

Sounds about right to me.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
nightjar

Mate managed to get a v. good post-hole spade from a team laying a new sewer - it was 'written off'. The chap asked for a half-bottle of whisky, which seemed reasonable. Trouble was, we had to try the whisky to see if it was suitable; after we'd tried 2 of 'em and given the third, it was an expensive spade!

Reply to
PeterC

I didn't think *good* whisky came in half-bottles.

I suppose 50p and "get yersel a can a fanta, son" wouldn't have been so welcome.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

years ago I spent some time sorting out the 'local squires' PC. As I=20 left he said 'you must have something for your time' indicating a=20 nondescript slightly golden pink bottle on the kitchen top. 'Oh, thanks' =

I said expecting a rather indifferent rose wine.

I stuffed it in a cupboard and forgot about it, till we fancied some=20 rose..but it wasn't. It was 40 year old vintage brandy. Must have been=20 =A340 at least.

Never had anything like it before or since..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I recall buying single malts in half bottles, but only in Scotland.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
nightjar

ahh - I was imagining a local garage type establishment rather than a "just welding" place - go on then, as no-one else has asked, what were you having welded that only a few places can do some with a 3 month waiting list?????

jimK

Reply to
jim

Stainless - requires a TIG welder.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

In message , RubberBiker writes

I used to give some of my customers a bottle of whisky at xmas, then one year I asked them all whether they liked whisky - half of them couldn't stand the stuff. One said that he would prefer a crate of stella, some didn't like red wine even.

Moral of the story - its worth asking

Reply to
geoff

Nah! A jiffle is the attention span of the average teenager..

regards

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Not in the USA. It's 1/120th of a second there!

Reply to
Bob Eager

People who didn't like whisky & red wine? You need a better class of punter Geoff.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

One takes what one can get nowadays

... but it also runs lighter on the wallet on the run up to xmas

Reply to
geoff