Just checked my RightMove shortlist - top two sold!

Is there any end to the disillusion? My two favourite properties in Lincs have been sold, each within four weeks. Meanwhile I contacted my agent and learned that the guy I was dealing with has suddenly left for a new job! So no one in the agency has been to see my property. They are now urging to know my bottom line beyond which I will not go. I am fed up and pissed off.

MM

Reply to
Mike Mitchell

I learnt a long time ago to only pay cursory attention to what properties are available until you are in a position to purchase i.e. have sold current property and/or have mortgage offer from lender. Otherwise you are just opening up yourself to heartache of exactly the kind you describe everytime one of your chosen destinations is sold to someone else.

How long has your property been on the market? Have you been getting many viewings? Have you been given any indication why people haven't made offers or have offered under the asking price? If you're not getting any feedback of this kind then I'd look in to changing your agent (again?). You need to concentrate all your efforts into selling your own property, so you can then think about finding your ideal new home.

Al

Reply to
Al Reynolds

In message , Mike Mitchell writes

So all the talk about properties not selling is clearly not quite the case

Are you just fed up and pissed off, or are you fed up and pissed of with your agent This is the agent who was going to sell in 6 weeks IIRC?

You must have a bottom line, so why not tell them? Valuation is not a science and, if it is not selling at the current price, and 2 agents have tried, can they all be wrong?

At the same time, ask if some of the staff will come and see your house, and perhaps ask for some internal photos to be taken and displayed, (you could even take your own photos and let them have them on disc.

You need to try and work with the agent, and also sympathise, to a degree, that they will be understaffed, very busy, and not right on top of everything. If you can create the right rapport, you may be surprised at how much they "want" to help you sell your house.

If you change your agent again, you might get lucky, but they are probably all very similar - full of "sizzle" to get you on the books, then you actually experience the "sausage".

One thing I learned during my years as an agent was that it was never my fault, (or my office's), if a property didnt sell, or if a buyer withdrew, or etc.. It is a fact of life that these things happen, and this is why selling a house is one of the most stressful things that we do.

Reply to
Richard Faulkner

Tell me about it!

Those houses sold because they were very special in their own way. The one was very old and had a massive garden (300 ft long). It was in a very quiet and secluded location, totally ideal. The other was a modern bungalow and also had a huge rear garden (approx 1/2 acre, I reckon). There was another property that sold recently (approx two weeks ago) that was near the top of my shortlist, and *that* had a couple of acres! It also sold quickly. Maybe it's properties with land that attract. But everything else on my RM shortlist is hanging around for ages, just like my and other properties here are.

Yes, I told the agent what the bottom line would be. I don't believe it will make the slightest difference. No one (around here) is buying anything right now. It has been weeks (literally) since any For Sale sign anywhere in the village changed to Sold. And I drive round regularly, just to see.

Yes, the agent is the one who offered the 6-week challenge. They still have almost three weeks to go!

Perhaps you don't realise quite how bad the market has become if you've retired from it for a little while? I am getting calls from agents almost every day and they are really concerned that the MPC will again raise the interest rate in November. Several agents have opined (separately and individually) that if that happens there will definitely be a total crash.

MM

Reply to
Mike Mitchell