Jungle-taming strimmers

There used to be (in the U.S.) attachments for strimmers which were in effect a small segment of thin chain, rather than thin nylon cord. Possibly they may have fallen foul of the endless safety campaigners; I'm sure you could do your neighbour GBH with such a thing.

But they were very handy for more ordinary uses.

Is anything of the sort available here, for any of the standard garden gizmos?

Reply to
Windmill

If you mean this sort of thing

then I can see why they're frowned on.

If you need to tackle woody stems then a decent brush cutter with a disc is effective and a good deal safer. I find that a brush cutter with nylon line will deal with most weeds, including brambles, if used judiciously. I.e. nibble into the thick stems gently rather than wrapping the line round them!

Reply to
Bill Taylor

there is but its for pro style strimmers only and getting hold of it is harder. You REALLY need the steel toecaps and the safety mask when using it too.

Frankly I have the following

13 bhp drie on that copes with almost everything bar scrip 3 bhp strimmer that gets in te cirners 5 bhp hedge trimmer that copes with anything 'woody' that the others do not. chainsaw for anything else.

There isn't much that grows in a year that the strimmer or ride on wont tackle, two years sometimes the hedge trimmer.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

You can certainly get the solid steel tri-arc and similar blades...

articulated jobbies like:

may well chop someone off at the ankles, but would probably take a while to gnaw through ;-)

Reply to
John Rumm

+1
Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Terrible reputation. They either break (with an obvious safety problem) or = their unbalanced forces used to beat the crap out of the strimmer bearings.= The only machines where such an attachment was anywhere near safe or credi= ble to use were brushcutters, where you might as well use the rigid disc or= star head.=20

Strimmers also have a narrow guard, and anything that heavy needs a half-ci= rcle guard, like a brushcutter.

I use a strimmer with heavy, square line in it. Cuts anything light enough = to leave behind on the ground. If it's heavy enough I want to pick it up a= fterwards (brambles etc.), then I use secateurs by hand, as that's still qu= icker than I can bag it. If it's roadside verges, use a brushcutter.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

The council seem to be using some units with two chains on them a lot around here, but the are rather large an d on shoulder straps and have numerous safety devices according to the operators, who seem to be all pretty deaf already....grin.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

It has taken almost 6 months to deal with assorted problems, including the near-death of this PC, but now that it's running again I can thank you for your help!

Reply to
Windmill

Sounds like much more power than I would ever need. The idea of using a hedge trimmer appeals to me. I have a normal electric hedge trimmer and electric chain saw which copes with your ordinary privet hedge; now if there was just something like a hedge trimmer blade mounted at the bottom of a handle so that one could use it on long grass, weeds, etc., that would be perfect (but maybe a little dangerous).

BTW my problems with computers, a couple of small rental flats, and you-name-it has meant that I've only now been able to reply to your comments. Getting/keeping some kind of minimal income has priority over fixing the computer set up for Usenet access, and by now the weeds have mostly been trampled down.

But thank you for the comments.

Reply to
Windmill

I have a Tanaka, this is a 2 stroke engine to which one can attach various items. I have a strimmer, hedge cutter and light chain saw, the last 2 being on a longish pole. What I like about the Tanaka is that it is the easiest of 2 stroke engines to start. I have had this kit for a number of years and it is very easy to maintain and has been most reliable.

Reply to
Broadback

Reply to
fred