joist hangers - packing out joists

Is it OK to pack under a joist in a joist hanger in order to bring the top surface of the joist to the correct height ? Timber to timber you can nail higher or lower within tolerance of the design, but what about a hook-over masonry hanger ? Packing maximum the height of a brick. If so, can you use timber cut to the correct size ? Don't worry, this is only theoretical at present ! Cheers, Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson

Thats what I do.

The rick with Joist hangers is to get the length spot on, it has to be a doubbleplustight fit.

Rick

Reply to
Rick

I presume you mean the length of the joist, which must be tigher so that no lateral movement can take place, so the hanger is only taking downward force. I suppose the packing would should be the same structural grade as the joist. Cheers, Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson

It should have at least the same resistance to compression as the joist - but tensile and shear strength don't really matter.

Reply to
Set Square

Yep, I do mean the length.

I use slate as packing, I have endless ammounts of the stuff, so its in every possible thickness.

Packing with small bits of wood is not so easy, you can use ply, as it comes in different thicknesses. Any spare ply I have gets cut into "packers", which have more users than you imagine.

Rick

Reply to
Rick

No of course not, unless you intend to have exposed beams.

If you have different sections in the joists replace them or lay a suitable batton along the length. The floor must be level and the ceiling must be level.

Reply to
Weatherlawyer