Joist Hangers

Hi

I want to remove 6' of a 10' internal breeze-block wall. The wall supports the ends of 4' floor joists, the other ends of which are supported by the external wall.

These floor joists are also nailed into a perpendicular joist that runs the entire front-back width of the house, offset an inch from the top of the internal wall.

As best as I can ascertain - and I'll have it verified by an expert

- the section of the internal to be removed supports nothing else than the aforementioned 4' joists and weight of bedroom above.

My question:- Would joist hangers attached to the front-back joist be acceptable support for the 4' joists, allowing the wall to be removed. ?

Cheers.

Reply to
pyramids.of.mars

Yes go for it, and if the floor is a bit springy then put in a stiffener over the opening. Weak floors don't tend to suddenly collapse. cheers

Jacob

Reply to
owdman

last one happened during a Health and Safety meeting ;-)

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

If you want some sort of useful answer then you will need to tell us:

Dimensions of all timbers, span of the floor joists and the perpendicular joist, and details of all loads carried by each of the joists.

Reply to
John Rumm