Jointing brass screw threads?

Is there any gunk that I can use to permanently joint half inch brass fittings together?

PTFE is useless due to the thread on two pieces being slack.

Will Araldite work for mains H/C water? That's the sort of stuff I am looking for. I don't ever want to dismantle the components.

Thanks

Reply to
no.spam

brass

Loctite thread seal

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

Thank you. Looks just the ticket! :))

Reply to
EricP

The message from snipped-for-privacy@spamfree.com contains these words:

Solder.

Reply to
Guy King

That is a distinct possibility for two sets of joints.

Cheers. :)

Reply to
EricP

In my experience DIY stores don't usually stock this, but motor spares shops often do and RS sells it.

Reply to
Adam Funk

You are correct. My local motor shop stocks Loctite 271 threadlocker. :))

Reply to
EricP

stuff I

threadlocker.

Thread locker (which comes in 4 grades high/low strength and viscous/runny) and thread seal are two different products. Thread seal is intended for fluid sealing not just retaining the thread.

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

What type of fittings are we talking about?

Some fittings need to make a seal on the threads (things like radiator tails), others have some other form of seal like a olive in a compression fitting, or a fiber washer in a tap connector. We need to know what we are dealing with here to advise.

If you use enough of it it may be more than adequate.

I would not advise epoxy. You may find something like Fernox LS-X is more appropriate.

Reply to
John Rumm

is there no way you can eliminate the brass and fit copper joints? if the joints are that slack then maybe they will fail later costing more than an initial outlay of a few pounds???????

Reply to
Gav

Once more you have come to the rescue.

So I will search for SEAL l tomorrow.

many thanks again :))

Reply to
EricP

Just standard 15mm brass threads with a horrible couple of chrome threads for a shower unit that will be completely inaccessible when installed. Bog standard half inch plumbing stuff except for the chromed shower parts.

I have to use so much that the thread gets lost. I have been here years ago on another job and PTFE didn't work then. It's superb for 4 turns + a bit but not beyond that unless the threads are very well cut.

This sounds exactly like the Fernox Water Hawk I used tonight. Recommended and supplied by the local plumbers. BS ratings on gas and water to high pressures. Installed exactly to the instructions and leaked like the fountains of Rome when I pressured it. Got to strip the whole lot out tomorrow and clean and reinstall so it does not leak. Solder is woinning for the brass and leaves something for the chrometo brass thread.

Reply to
EricP

It would be possible to strip the chrome off the thread, particularly if it is a male thread. If it is a female thread the chrome may not have thrown properly onto it anyway. Any plater who still offers electroplating of chrome ought to be able to do that, for a price. You will, however, need to make sure that they realise that you only want the thread stripped and that the rest of the chrome needs to be masked, unless the part is going to be completely hidden. Alternatively, for a quick, if rather hazardous, fix, heat the part and dip it in hydrochloric acid.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
nightjar

Thanks Colin.

I had worked on that one but with the plating removed, I could probably push the male/female together with little contact between them.

Thanks for the input and idea. :))

Reply to
EricP