Joint hardware...

Chaps, hi;

I want to upgrade a workbench. The top is fine, but the legs aren't as stable as they might be, so I'd like to put together a frame of (say) 4x4s, braced with some half inch ply, but I'd like to be able to dismantle the thing if need be.

So I'm looking for a simple jointing system. There is (was?) one with a metal cylinder drilled and threaded for a perpendicular bolt, which was often used for flat-pack furniture.

Does anyone have any idea what this is called and where I might buy it from ?

jd

Reply to
John Daragon

locks and dowels. HTH

Reply to
TonyK

For an already-unstable workbench?!! Think you'll need something a a bit more substantial than that.

David

Reply to
Lobster

Indeed - But the thing I was looking for (which is called a cross dowel, it seems) is referenced from the page above :

- jd

Reply to
John Daragon

Isaac Lord. They're called barrel bolts - you buy them as two pieces; round nut and bolt. There are also different head shapes for flush or surface heads, or tubular female bolts for a direct connection between components.

Screwfix sell a few, but much smaller range. In particular they only go to 100mm or so in length, and Isaac Lord go to 150mm.

Always insert the nut part into a through hole, not a blind hole. Blind holes need to be exactly the right depth and are a pain to get the alignment right. A spare bolt with the end ground to a point is also a useful alignment tool.

Design your workbench framing joints so that each is pulled together by two of these bolts, spaced as far apart as possible. Using a single bolt just isn't rigid enough against racking.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Halving Joints and screws do it for me ...............

Assuming you only dismantle occasionally.

If screws look too wimpy, try bolts or coach screws.

Rick

Reply to
Rick Dipper