Joining washing line

Then you need a better knot. Cabnt remember what I sued..somethig nautical learned in Scout camp probably..some sort of bowline and loop ..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

"Mary Fisher" typed

Skip string it some place for climbing plants to cling use imagination...

Reply to
Helen Deborah Vecht

A fisherman's knot won't slip:

Lobster

"Dave Liquorice" typed

A proper knot might hold or might fail. In the event of failure, a single ruined garment is likely to cost more to replace than a length of washing line.

Rather sad that adults are discussing these things long past midnight...

Reply to
Helen Deborah Vecht

There's a big assumption being made here; that is, that the line broke (or that longer lengths are available). Perhaps they want it longer than commonly available lengths...

Reply to
Bob Eager

I've not used a washing line for many years.

:-)

Reply to
Frank Erskine

Yeah tis a bugger trying to sleep.

Reply to
George

The message from "Bob Eager" contains these words:

I recently replaced my clothes line, buying a 15 metre length for a ridiculously small amount. In retrospect I probably didn't need even 10 metres but I erred on the side of caution. If I had a situation that needed the whole 15 metres it would have sagged almost to the ground when loaded.

It is attached to the hooks on the posts by knots - IIRC figure of eights rather than simple overhand knots. If I had any doubt about the safety I would have put a further stop knot on each projecting tail.

Reply to
Roger

If the scoutmaster had been teaching you nautical habits I don't blame you for sueing :-)

Owain

Reply to
Owain

================================== I don't think you will ever successfully join wire rope (plastic (wire core)) by knotting.

You could make a satisfactory join by cannibalising bits of a 'choc bloc' like these:

you choose the right size you'll be able to thread the rope through to make intersecting loops.

Cic.

-- =================================== Using Ubuntu Linux Windows shown the door ===================================

Reply to
Cicero

I was in the arms of Morpheus by then. At least, that's who he said he was ...

But surely you're not going to ruin a garment because of a broken line? If it's so fragile it shouldn't be washed!

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

It's the envoronmentally friendly thing to do.

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Is that your latest project, Owain? I'll subscribe!

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

That's what clothes props are for! :-)

Reply to
Bob Eager

================================== It hasn't always been so.

Cast your mind back to the 1950s when washing lines were made from hemp. Some people used to smoke them.

Cic.

Reply to
Cicero

It was a parody of a televisual panel game called "Have I Got News For You" which each week features a Guest Publication; last week's was Antique Barbed Wire Collector.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

There was once a half hour programme on Radio 4 about barbed wire, its hisotry and development as well as uses, it was fascinating!

I'm pleased that there's some wit on tv!

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher