Joining the 21st century...

!Fresco should work and I believe that !Netsurf will also access it. I had the same problem with !Oregano and !Oregano2, the latter seems to be the least impressive of the lot!

Feel free to get in touch if I can be of help.

Reply to
Andy Luckman (AJL Electronics)

You need to replace the faceplate on your master socket with a faceplate splitter filter...

has them for 11.99

Then you can plug an RJ 11 patch cable into the faceplate and also into an RJ45 cat5 socket (RJ45 sockets also accept RJ11 cables).

Then at the other end, another RJ45 socket with an RJ11 patch cable to plug in your router.

All your extensions are "downstream" of this filter so don't need further filters.

Reply to
blah

Yup, that's exactly it (I've got the same Solwise face plate - it fits a std BT master socket, or Solwise will sell you one). You can feed the main phone circuit out of the back of the box, and have RJ11 for router (or ADSL modem) out the front, together with a spare filtered phone socket.

Of course, you *should* get BT to fit the new master socket in your cellar.........

Reply to
Biggles

Fresco crashes big time when I attempt it. I've not got Netsurf yet although it sounds promising.

I took the router to a PC and got it set up there, so I'm now connected. News and e-mail work without altering anything - took me rather by surprise. I've been to the Pipex site to try and set up other things, but am having the same Javascript problems.

Thanks to everyone - now it's working well just plugged in to the same socket as the old modem, I'm more inclined to engineer the whole lot properly.

Reply to
Dave Plowman

Ah exchange that's that building about five miles away.... says he highly unlikely ever to get broadband...

The Q

Reply to
the q

When you have to work with a PC at the weekend, you can sit in the office, or in your garden with a beer .........

Don't tell the boss about the beer

Rick

Reply to
Rick Dipper

Hi,

It might all work without the filters, they're only there to stop the phone loading the line at ADSL frequencies.

ADSL is pretty robust, it's not affected by line capacitance and often still works if one wire of the pair is open circuit.

cheers, Pete.

Reply to
Pete C

They're also to stop nasty noises in your ear if you're using the phone while the ASDL is in use.

Reply to
Dave Plowman

And it may be a lot more than that by cable... I say this because of an experience in Cardiff where some of the "analogue lines" carrying programme material from/to our studios went about 2 miles around the block rather than 1/4 mile in a straightish line to the exchange.

For those of you who know Cardiff, we were based in West Canal Wharf (doesn't really exist any more - near Jacob's Antiques by Central station) and the BT exchange is bang next door to what was the National Stadium, but is now the Millenium Stadium. A brisk 2 minute walk.

We had a fault on a line between studio and exchange once which was traced to a duct near Cardiff Prison. Hmmm...

Hwyl!

M.

Reply to
Martin Angove

The other option for setting up may be to Telnet it. Most routers have Telnet command-line access to quite a lot more than the web-based setup. It just takes a bit of detailed study of the guidebook in order to understand the commands! If you're physically nearby, some routers also have a serial port so you can use a terminal emulator.

Having said that (and having lost the instructions for my router) I chickened out of doing the Telnet thing and set it up in NS6 on a Mac. I only have ArcWeb and WebsterXL on the Acorn and neither of those wanted to do much :-)

Hwyl!

M.

Reply to
Martin Angove

For short/quiet lines, it generally works fine, even with no filters. Slightly longer, and the ADSL may cut out when a phone is picked up. Longer than this, and it requires filters to work at all.

(some phones may not load the line in a way that they impair ADSL though)

Reply to
Ian Stirling

I'd prefer a WPC myself.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

What, WPC Sadie Stick ?

Reply to
geoff

Tried it on mine this afternoon, works OK until you pick the phone up :^( I suppose the phone can also generate signals in the ADSL frequencies which interfere with it.

cheers, Pete.

Reply to
Pete C

No it can't. The filter is there to isolate the high frequency ADSL signal from the rectifying effects of the non-linearities in the phone which would give rise to all sorts of noise. Some phones have non-linearities in the ringers when on-hook so these won't work at all, whereas others are fine until you go off-hook. There was a concept in 1998 called ADSL-lite which depended on this but it died the death that all crap ideas should.

Reply to
G&M

Actually, I was more thinking of the redhead that apprehended me while shopping for a mobile.

I'd earlier walked into a travel agent, turned down my MP3 player, went up to the currency exchange counter, then left as there was noone there.

Apparently they called the police, as they assumed that the MP3 player in my pocket was a gun, and I was there to perform an unauthorised withdrawal.

Problem soon resolved after she went through my pockets.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

Mmm, nicedid you invite her to come home and rumage through your drawers?

Reply to
geoff

"Is that an MP3 player in your pocket or are you just pleased to see me" doesn't really scan so well.

Reply to
Dave Plowman

There was also her larger male collegue present, otherwise I'm sure she'd have jumped at the chance :)

Reply to
Ian Stirling

And you forgot to put on your working jeans with the holes in the pockets beforehand? :-)