Joining the 21st century...

After a couple of vast phone bills I'm going broadband. I'm having problems getting it set up due to my Acorn browser not talking properly to the router, but that's not my question. I've got phone sockets in every room - two in some - and I didn't take particular care when installing the cable. And this computer is on the very last socket on the chain. Rather than provide filters everywhere, I'd like to put the router in the cellar where the line comes in, with just the one filter before it, then run Cat5 to both the computers up the side of the house. Anything wrong with this plan?

Reply to
Dave Plowman

Similar to what I did, except I ran the cables down the house.

You may find that the CAT5 cable is not UV stable and will break down after a few years...

I ran my cable down the back of the gutter downpipe (fastened with cable ties) so that it wouldn't be visible. I also painted over the cable with the same paint as the downpipe to help preserve it longer(?) So far so good...

Colin

Reply to
Colin

What about buying a wireless access point (to plug in to the router in=20 the cellar) and using wireless network cards. More expensive that CAT5,=20 and potentially slower, but easier to install.

Filters are only a couple of quid, though, so why not get a bunch of=20 those? In fact,

has them for =A30.99 ex. VAT.

--=20 Hywel I do not eat quiche

Hywel

"Dave Plowman" wrote | I've got phone sockets in every room - two in some - and I didn't | take particular care when installing the cable. And this | computer is on the very last socket on the chain. Rather than | provide filters everywhere, I'd like to put the router in the cellar | where the line comes in,

Eminently sensible.

| with just the one filter before it, then run Cat5 to both the | computers up the side of the house. Anything wrong with this plan?

You've got the filter in the wrong place :-) The filter blocks the broadband signal.

The line needs to be split:

|------ ROUTER ------- PC | / HUB ------- PC LINE ----- | |-------FILTER ------- PHONES

Owain

Reply to
Owain

The Q

Reply to
the q

In some cases. If you happen to be unlucky and your walls do not cooperate, then it can simply be impossible.

For example, foil vapour barriers, chickenwire in the walls, thick stone are all bad news.

I can lose signal 5m away from the router in my home. Admittedly, 1m of that is a stone chimney breast.

It can be almost impossible to tell if a wireless system you have will work in more than one room, without knowledge of the building construction.

I'm laying new cat5 (the fragments I have won't do 100baset, not to mention 1G).

Reply to
Ian Stirling

Try a router with a wireless connection. no cat 5 to run, you can even sit in the garden in the sun with a beer, and the PC on your knee ..

Reply to
Rick Dipper

Have a look at this replacement master socket, it might help.

allows you to have just one filter in the circuit. Only draw back is you need a spare pair in your cable run the extention sockets.

Chris

- remove nogo to reply -

Reply to
Chris

I've absolutely no wish to have a PC on my knee.

Reply to
Dave Plowman

Don't want wireless.

And have them hanging out the sockets? No thanks.

Reply to
Dave Plowman

Yup - although the ones supplied have telephone line in/out and output to router. Of course I'd prefer a 'hard wired' one for this purpose.

Reply to
Dave Plowman

I've got 6 phones and two modems at the moment, and they all work just fine. REN 1 is the lowest *quoted* number, but most modern phones are well below this, and things like modems that don't ring should be near 0. Besides, the REN 4 limit is a bit conservative if you're not far from the exchange.

Reply to
Dave Plowman

The above is exactly what my combined filter and (BT) master box does. It's a direct replacement for the BT master box, i.e. one with a removable front that disconnects the BT line from the house. It has two sockets - one for your ADSL modem and one for your phones. You can also hardwire your phone wiring into the back of the cover. Bought it from Solwise for a tenner.

Rgds Richard

Reply to
Richard Savage

Them uncooperative walls can certainly get in the way of technology.

That's bad.

That's why.

Of course. I have CAT5 to rooms at the front of our house but use 54G wireless at the back because the route is shorter. One of the joys of living in a Victorian brick-built house. Still, at least I could put up shelves on any downstairs wall if I wanted :)

I have considered peering the wireless by using intermediate relays, but Swmbo wouldn't understand.

Reply to
Hywel

Unfortunately, I've forgotten from where. Ask on uk.telecom.broadband

Reply to
Ian Stirling

This sounds promising. The line comes into the cellar where there is an old type junction box. It then goes to the front room where the master socket is - then on elsewhere. Can I get a box which is line in, filter, RJ11 out for router and master socket for the phone circuit? I can then feed the existing wiring, replacing the master socket in the front room with a secondary one.

Reply to
Dave Plowman

Ian Stirling

In article , Dave Plowman wrote: .

I have had the same interesting situation, solved nicely with the help of the Vispa support team and me finally seeing the wood rather than the trees! Something that was a major pain was the router default address in the 10 range. My network is all in 192, so that was fun.

Reply to
Andy Luckman (AJL Electronics)

What a strange fetish. :-)

Reply to
Andy Luckman (AJL Electronics)

Mine is in the 10 range too, but that's not the problem - a ping test works fine. It's the Javascript implementation of the router that's causing me grief - I can't reliably log in to it and set it up. I have IE 5.5 on my PC card which would be alright, but my PC interface software doesn't include networking - I've sent off for the upgrade. But I'm off into 'work' in a few minutes to set up the router on a PC, so I'll hopefully be in business as a test later today.

Reply to
Dave Plowman