Joining/splicing a shower hose?

Hi everyone,

Hope someone can help. My old Mum has just had her shower unit replaced, and the main hose connection to the actual shower unit is behind tiles with no access ( I know, I know. )

She dropped the shower head the other morning and has broken the head off from the hose. Is it a simple enough case of snipping the shower head end of the hose evenly and attaching a new head, or are we looking at having to put on an entire new hose/head combo? If we are able to take the easy option, is it numptie proof - as in could I do it, with my average skills.

( i.e. removing the tiles etc! )

Many thanks in advance.

Reply to
intruder1

Usually the hose has two female threaded connectors, one screws onto the shower head & one screws onto the shower outlet. You can simply unscrew the head & fit another.

Dave

Reply to
David Lang

Thanks David,

One small thing - the shower head end of the hose looks a little damaged, presumably where Mum tried to remove the head. It's frayed and uneven, so can I just smooth this out and reconnect? Additionally inside the shower head I see a chewed up piece of plastic, which I assume is the connector. Do heads come with these or do I buy these separately?

Reply to
Dave Jennings

The connectors are part of the hose - see

David Lang

The sheds sell replacement hoses. Its worth getting a larger bore one (esp for gravity fed system) which cost a bit more

Reply to
OldBill

Thanks for that - ideally though I'd prefer to splice/trim the existing shower hose in place as to fully replace it means I'd have to take tiles off the wall etc which I'd really rather not do, as the shower was only put in about 5 weeks ago!

The setup is that inside the shower only the shower head, rail and about 12" of hose are visible, the rest of it ( and the other end of the hose connector ) are all tiled in behind the wall. Being a bodger, I'd be happier if I could just trim off the rough end of the hose where it got broken and attach a new head.

Reply to
Dave Jennings

I'm intrigued. How does the tiled-in shower hose exit from the wall ? Is there just a hole in a tile and the hose comes through, or some kind of grommet ? I know this thead is probably done and dusted, but can you satisfy my curiosity ? Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson

Are you the bodger who put the shower in like that? In which case welcome to your petard...

Sounds to me like the 'rough end' and 'bit of plastic' is the snapped off thread from the end of the shower head. Try and unscrew it, then screw another one on. There should be a small rubber washer in there too to make a good seal.

Reply to
PC Paul

There's the hole that the hose comes through, and that's got a grommet which is then covered over by a piece of chrome trim to hide it.

Reply to
Dave Jennings

No, I'm not. My old mum got a company to put the shower in, and they said it'd look neater! Access obviously wasn't a concern for them after installation, it seems!

Ta, I picked up a new shower head and hose earlier so I'll give this a go when I'm next over visiting.

Reply to
Dave Jennings

Yuck. Yuck. OMG.

Did I say Yuck?

If it was me they wouldn't have left the house until they did it 'properly'. At least with some way to access the shower, either from the bathroom side or at least from the other side of the wall. What is behind that wall anyway? Is the shower in a big wasted space behind a false wall?

It can be a sod to get that sort of thing out, as there isn't anything to get a grip on. Be prepared to nibble/crush it till it comes out (I'd use some needle nosed pliers.)

Reply to
PC Paul