Joining rooms and adding value or not?

Hi, I'm in a house with 5 rooms ( 1 large, 2 medium, 2 box rooms ), I'm planning to knock down a partition wall between one of the box rooms and a medium room. Mainly with the idea of adding more space to the medium room ( I work from home ), but I'm wondering whether that would add or remove value to the house? Can anyone enlighten me?

Thx in advance.

Kai Chan

Reply to
Kai Chan

"Kai Chan" wrote | Hi, I'm in a house with 5 rooms ( 1 large, 2 medium, 2 box rooms ), | I'm planning to knock down a partition wall between one of the box | rooms and a medium room. Mainly with the idea of adding more space to | the medium room ( I work from home ), but I'm wondering whether that | would add or remove value to the house? Can anyone enlighten me?

If by box room you mean walk-in cupboard (no windows, and thus not an inhabitable room) then you will be bringing this into use as habitable space, so it is likely to add value, especially if the medium room is on the smaller side of medium.

However if the medium room is on the larger side of medium, you might be better not losing a room (even an uninhabitable one) but thinking of eg en-suite bathroom.

You will need building regulations approval for the removal of the wall and to ensure that eg windows and ventilation are sufficient for the larger habitable area created.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

If the small room is large enough to be considered a bed room (even the most tiniest of bedrooms) you will remove value.

Tim

Reply to
tim

In article , tim writes

What about the options for a 12 x 12 'utility room and a 'smallish' kitchen? Would it be better to knock the two together or keep them as separate options? Or should we extend the kitchen out? We have a four bedroomed house with 2 receps.

Janet

Reply to
Janet Tweedy

"Janet Tweedy" wrote | What about the options for a 12 x 12 'utility room and a 'smallish' | kitchen? Would it be better to knock the two together or keep them | as separate options? Or should we extend the kitchen out? | We have a four bedroomed house with 2 receps.

12 x 12 (ft) is rather big to waste on a utility room especially if the kitchen is smallish. Your home would probably appeal to a family, and if the existing kitchen is too small to have a breakfasting table, knocking through should give you a kitchen-breakfast room which will probably appeal to the target market. Depending on layout, you might be able to make a nice feature dining alcove with an archway, rather than knocking out the whole wall.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

How big is big enough to be of value? 50 sq ft? 60 sq ft? Even smaller?

Regards, NT

Reply to
N. Thornton

In article , N. Thornton writes

I would think the shape mattered as well, a 5foot wide corridor type space would be much less useful than a bed width, or length

Reply to
Janet Tweedy