Joining Plastic Waste pipe to Lead pipe

Marley Plastic waste pipe 40mm + Lead waste pipe inside diameter approx 55mm
I have removed old lead waste pipe from bathroom which was for the bath and wash basin. Problem I cut the lead pipe back to 6 inches from wall and now have to join the new plastic waste pipe to this when the 40mm plastic pipe is inserted into lead pipe there is a gap about 5mm around plastic pipe.
I intend to wrap hemp mixed with plumbers mait around last 4 inches of plastic pipe and then insert this into lead pipe and then use a screwdriver to force hemp/mait tight around gap between lead pipe and plastic pipe.
Q) Would this give me a reliable water tight joint or is this just a bodge and is there a special fitting/method for this job.
tia...

I'd bung a bit of silicone in there too!
Christian.

55mm
and
screwdriver
Ernie: Are you going to just sit there and annoy me or are you going to read your newspaper? Eric: I can do both!
Er, yes it is a bodge, but it might still give you a reliable water-tight joint :-)
I'd be inclined to go for silicone or gripfill rather than hemp & mait to get some mechanical grip to the joint, and I'd perhaps try slitting a short length of plastic pipe and slipping (and solvent-welding it) over your main plastic pipe to try to make a tight fit into the lead with a bit of silicone or whatever to just fill the gaps. Incidentally is the 40mm pipe you're using push-fit or solvent weld (PP or ABS)? If the former you'd find solvent weld would be a better fit as it's slightly larger diameter.
A more pukka way would be if a 50mm plastic compression joint made a good connection with the lead (depends not just on diameter but also if the lead is circular enough).
On Wed, 18 Feb 2004 21:34:32 +0000, John Stumbles wrote:

I think you'll find the ID of the nominal 50mm muPVC pipe is about 56mm. That would jam down rather well into the lead. A bit of silicone grease could help it its way. Sparky tape around the outside and a very large jubilee clip should just about smake it indestructable.
The FAQ for uk.diy is at www.diyfaq.org.uk