joining meter tails

The message from "Staffbull" contains these words:

Though a general understanding of what's what is invaluable in avoiding pitfals the avoidance of which many of us take for granted 'cos we know what's what.

Reply to
Guy King

They were not very happy about it at all !!! and stated "well sorry but we charge" on which I retorted " if you dont have to follow the regulations set out in part P neither do I" I also had with me a copy of a page someone pointed out on this group from the Ministry for Local Govt, which stated that local authorities who charge for this should discontinu immediately....... Gotcha !!!

Reply to
Staffbull

But that is similar to telling someone they cant change the oil on their car unless they fully understand the principles of the internal combustion engine or even better the production of Petrolium spirit itself !!! they are related but of no relevance to the work in hand :-)

Reply to
Staffbull

No. It is more akin to telling someone he can't change the oil in his car if he doesn't know the differance between olive oil, lubricating oil and diesel oil.

Reply to
dcbwhaley

The mind really does boggle!

How are you going to test the circuit as required before it is commissioned?

I do hope you have been brave enough to tell your insurance company what you are doing and have made alternative arrangements for when your cover is withdrawn.

Reply to
Just Another Residents Fan

So, tell us about balanceing the ring final circuit ("ring main" is incorrect). Also about derating.

Reply to
Bob Eager

No, it's not. There are many considerations to take into account before you even start the actual work...design, calculation, etc.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Oh that's easy. He's going to put the (e)verything wire on the E, the (n)egative 115V on the N and the (l)ast 115V wire on the L.

He'll be needing some centre tapped light fittings and some twin filament bulbs to go with his circuits.

Reply to
Just Another DIY Fan

I have this vision of a council official looking rather like the late lamented Clive Jenkins of union fame getting more and more excited, his voice going higher and higher and claiming that it's "Regulations - see" (or perhaps regiwlations)

... and then you squeezing his differentials..... (that's what used to happen to poor old Clive)

.. vestiges of a bygone era, all of it.

Reply to
Andy Hall

Yes...

No...

Are we mixing up *Peak* and *Peak-to-Peak* here?

Surely 240v RMS = 340v **PEAK** = 680v **P-P**

( Assuming a nice clean sine wave, for the pedants... )

Reply to
Ron Lowe

I think more than one is confused here.

Reply to
dennis

680 V peak-to-peak, actually (or 650 in new-Euro-harmonised-volts).
Reply to
Andy Wade

240 X 1.414 = 339.36 X 2 = 678.72 P-P

Ner ner......

Reply to
Just Another DIY Fan

I am reminded of the quote from the late Richard M. Nixon, onetime US President who said "When you have them by the balls their hearts and minds will soon follow!"

Peter Crosland

Reply to
Peter Crosland

Well you've grasped the basics, the devil is in the detail and you sure sound as though you are missing huge chunks of detail :)

Reply to
Matt

is permitted and not running through any insulation to increase heating?

Shit, B&Q should start selling handguns instead of electrical fitting, by the sounds of a few on here it should be nigh on impossible !! It,s a 5X4m extension two ring mians (yes I'll call them that because they wont burst into flames if I do !!!) and two lighting circuits

On BALANCE I think I'll be OK :-)

Reply to
Staffbull

"mians"? Dyslexic as well? Make sure you get L, N and E in the correct order.

Reply to
Just Another Residents Fan

The message from "Staffbull" contains these words:

Personally, I reckon understanding whether and why a circuit is safe to work on when only the live leg is broken by the circuit breaker is important enough not to skimp on.

Reply to
Guy King

The message from Andy Wade contains these words:

If they keep devaluing the eurovolt d'yer reckon we'll ever get to the stage where we can trade in ten AlteVolten for one NuevoVolt?

Reply to
Guy King

Is there something in the regs about Dyslexic electricians ???

Reply to
Staffbull