joining meter tails

final inspection and test will be carried out by either the local planning office or someone contracted to do it by them, why?

Reply to
Staffbull

Surely it swings between approx. +340 V and -340 V wrt neutral / earth ?

Nick

Reply to
Nick

Don't worry about Peter. He's always keen to make sure that officialdom and red tape are included in every project possible....

Reply to
Andy Hall

Yebbut don't complicate things.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

"Staffbull" wrote

Won't the local building control department have something to say about planning control taking their work?

HLAH

I assume you mean building control rather than the planners. Make sure they know before the work starts as they can be very fussy if they don't have the opportunity to see any work that is hidden.

Peter Crosland

Reply to
Peter Crosland

On 19 Sep 2006 19:08:13 GMT someone who may be "Bob Eager" wrote this:-

My thoughts precisely. Anyone working on such connections should have the knowledge and experience to be able to work live if necessary and assume that the neutral conductor is live, as it may suddenly become during the work. Also once the main fuse is removed there is usually a live terminal through which many thousands of amps could flow, with the only protection being at the substation.

Reply to
David Hansen

Hi Peter, yes, I mean building control, they are aware I am doing the wiring myself and have asked that I call for the first fix install when done

Reply to
Staffbull

You're having a Giraffe surely?

If you don't even know what neutral is and think that the mains supply is 115-0-115 then I assure you a ring main is way beyond your "skills" let alone a cooker point. Get an electrician in before you kill someone or set light to your house.

Reply to
Just Another DIY Fan

You're having a Giraffe surely?

If you don't even know what neutral is and think that the mains supply is 115-0-115 then I assure you a ring main is way beyond your "skills" let alone a cooker point. Get an electrician in before you kill someone or set light to your house.

Reply to
Just Another DIY Fan

240 is RMS value and 340 is Peak to peak (X2) so both are correct figures when qualified.

Your bog standard meter reads RMS.

Reply to
Just Another DIY Fan

That's fine. Hope you reminded them that they have to pay if the don't have the expertise themselves. I have just returned from a friend's house where a similar job is being done and the BCO is not happy about the fact at all! Good luck with your install.

Peter Crosland

Reply to
Peter Crosland

Hi Peter

Yes they are aware of the rule at the bottom of page 11 of part P, they were not until I pointed it out to them after advice from this group

Reply to
Staffbull

So, qualifying the first one you would say "swings between +240V and

-240V RMS"?

Think about it, if you actually understand what you mean by RMS.

MBQ

Reply to
manatbandq

Mmm, let me think, me knowing UK supply has what to do with wiring a ring main.........naf all!!

ring main..... cable from CU to first socket leaves first socket enters second socket leaves second socket enters third, plase repeat until reach socket six....... then out of socket six back to the same terinals on the CU as it left this will ensure diversity Oh and try and remember the really hard bit to wire L,N &E to their correct terminals which very luckily for me are clearly marked.

Gee I think I might have a go !!

Reply to
Staffbull

Well Screwfix definitely sell Henley blocks and those are rated at way more than 30A

Reply to
Matt

I just love it when the jobsworths have to pay.....

Gladdens my heart

Reply to
Andy Hall

The message from "Staffbull" contains these words:

I'll bet they'll continue to be "unaware" of it each time.

Reply to
Guy King

With Anglesey Council you can COUNT on it !!!!

Reply to
Staffbull

earth). The live

neutral.

No that would be very odd usage as the rms or 'root mean square' value encompassed the whole cycle. It should be 240 RMS (230 nominally actually!) and 340(ish) peak to peak

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson