Joining kitchen work tops.

Is there a web site anywhere that shows how to use the jig that is used to cut and join two kitchen worktops at a corner. I have joined them in the past using a packing type strip but am going to fit new work tops and would like them looking neat.

Sam

Reply to
Sam Farrell

On Tue, 01 May 2007 07:37:17 GMT, "Sam Farrell" mused:

Mine came with instructions.I'm sure 2 minutes Googling would soon find a set if I needed more.

Reply to
Lurch

Click on the Instruction Manual Link:

John Rumm

It's covered - though not in great detail - on pages 36 & 37 of

Roger Mills

My tip: practice on the ones you're ripping out if they're the same size....

Reply to
cupra

of

's covered - in full detail, for Trend jigs - in the instructions manuals accessible from

manatbandq

Buy the ones that have edging to glue on. You just butt join them and mitre the edging. I find the look better too.

Reply to
dennis

If the worktop has a rounded edge, how do you butt join two pieces at a corner?

Or, are you just talking out of your butt?

MBQ

Reply to
manatbandq

Yes, he is! You need what is known as a 'Mason Joint' - where the worktop is cut square apart from the last couple of inches near the rolled edge, where it is mitred. You need a special jig - as already discussed in this thread - plus a powerful 1/2" router to cut these joints satisfactorily.

Reply to
Roger Mills

Thanks guys I seem to have got all the information I need. I have some old work tops in the garage so I will have a bit of practice on those.

Once again the DIY newsgroup has brought home the bacon.

Reply to
Sam Farrell

I have a Trend Joining Kitchen Worktops video which shows how the job is done. Came in useful for me.

See here:

could post it to you free of charge if you want.

Is the email address in your message header a valid email address. (actually if it is you want to change it!)

Graham

Reply to
Graham Jones

Graham Many thanks

That address went dead long ago. If you e-mail me at snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.co.uk which is my dead letter address then I can give you the proper e-mail address.

Sam Farrell

> I could post it to you free of charge if you want.

Reply to
Sam Farrell

>>> I could post it to you free of charge if you want.

Done.

Reply to
Graham Jones

Thanks to all those who posted, I needed a refresher on the instructions. I have a question on external corners.

In the kitchen I'm planning at the moment I have one external corner which is part of a non protruding breakfast bar. I've been wondering how this L shape might be jointed using regular 600mm curved edge laminate worktop. Ideas I have so far:

  1. Don't do it.
  2. Perform a full 45 degree mitre, perhaps trim the point
  3. Mason joint
  4. Just get a breakfast bar worktop and perform mason joint between
600mm and breakfast bar.

Any ideas?

Cheers, Stephen.

Reply to