Joining copper pipes without connectors?

Hello people!

We have just has some air conditioning installed at work. When they wanted to join two pipes together, they used a tool to stretch one of the pipes so the other pipe then fitted inside it, then they brazed it.

Can this sort of thing be done for normal copper water pipes for soldering?

Screwfix sell this

I correct in thinking this just spreads the very end of the pipe, rather than stretching 2cms or so for another pipe to fit inside? If so, where can I get the appropriate tool, or what is it called so I can try to find one if they exist!

Ta :-)

Sparks...

Reply to
Sparks

yes, but it's a bit old school.

no.

Reply to
.

If you haven't access to a lathe, bung a bit of iron railing or mild steel rod into the chuck of an electric drill and use a file to reduce about 15mm at the end to be just over the diameter of the pipe and dome the end. Bang that into the end of the copper pipe. Voila!

Makes a nice neat looking join

Reply to
EricP

Yes I use a flaring toll made by Ridgid, its considerably better then the cheep type that you bash in with a hammer, it allows you to make joins under flooring or to existing pipework with ease. But they are expensive, you would need to be doing lots of plumbing to justify the cost versus time saved. Picture of it at

Screwfix one is not for plumbing, its used for making brake pipes on cars.

Reply to
Mark

post the full version as well, for those of us who want to take a look.

MBQ

Reply to
manatbandq

As in pre-spend,spend,spend? That will never do will it?

Reply to
Mike Halmarack

Possibly, though as it goes up to 30mm diameter, it may do for some plumbing at a pinch.

Reply to
Mike Halmarack

_Cuts_ up to 30mm and makes automotive type double flars upto 5/8 which are no use for CH/water copper pipe plumbing, or even "plumbing at a pinch"

Reply to
Mark

The message from snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com contains these words:

Not broken here. Links quite adequately to

Guy King

I do beg your pardon.

Reply to
Mike Halmarack

manatbandq

Indeed, it would have been a waste as that doesn't work either.

MBQ

Reply to
manatbandq

yawn.

Reply to
.

I wasn't going to waste my fingertime trying to tell him that ;-(

Reply to
Mark

For you that constitutes added value.

Reply to
Mike Halmarack

Reply to
Chris Bacon

However tinyurl is blocked by a lot of work places so the full URL should be given.

Reply to
soup

Reply to
soup

What ISP/ browser are you using, it seems freeserve/wanapoo have a odd DNS lookup for direct Lycos images which then displays the rloadblock page. Has anyone else been redirected to the loadblock page, If this is a problem for the majority I will revise my picture storage.

Just for you try

Mark

Clicking on the angelfire link works for me. I have the tinyurl preview feature enabled, and I then get the roadblock unless I cut and paste the angelfire URL in a new window. I suspect that angelfire doesn't like referrals from tinypic or Google (that manatbandq is using).

Reply to
Nick