Joining Conduit Wire, (Singles) to T&E

The ongoing house rewire is. .... well, ongoing and I'm now thinking about our ouside passage, loo, workshop and store cupboard. (Actually it's all under cover and enclosed but 'feels' outside!). I think wiring this area would look a whole lot neater in conduit, (it's all bare brickwork), but this is a new ball game to me, hence a couple of questions:

How do I best connect the T&E within the house to the singles I'll need in the conduit? - Is there some kind of junction box that has a

20mm conduit connection and that is designed for a flat T&E cable inlet too?

Does anyone know of a supplier that sells singles by the metre? - even maplin seem to have drawn a blank on this one, and I really don't need

100m of red + 100m of black + 100m of Earth!

Another alternative I'm looking at is the Hi-Tuf cable that TLC and QVS (and no doubt others) sell, which seems to get fairly good write ups in this newsgroup, however is perversely more expensive than SWA!

Any advice for a potential conduit wirer greatfully received. _

Reply to
Mike Hall

On 26 Apr 2004 12:37:00 -0700, in uk.d-i-y mike snipped-for-privacy@peppertree-broadcast.co.uk (Mike Hall) strung together this:

A PVC adaptable box with a 20mm hole for the conduit and a suitable hole\gland for the T&E, like another 20mm hole and a TRS gland. Another way, although this gives you less space, is to use a conduit box and fit a 20mm TRS gland to one outlet for the T&E and 20mm tube as normal into the other hole(s).

search for 6491X, select the last item on the list. Although 100m of red, black and g\y in 1.5mm and 2.5mm won't be more than £40 from a wholesaler or such like.

Reply to
Lurch

Don't under esitmate how much you'll really need by the time you've routed stuff neatly and got seperate circuits in for ring/lights etc.

It's cheap enough, buy the 100m and flog surplus on eBay. Wouldn't be surprised if you cover the inital costs...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

And then just suitably rated choc bloc inside the conduit box ?

Yep, searched the CPC site yesterday. Even went to the very page containing conduit wire and I swear it was all in 100m drums yesterday ..... still it seems the sneaky buggers have amended their website over night !! :-)

Now I'm havin a different, (third), plan and am thinking of using mini trunking with T&E. If I buy *non* self adhesive trunking, (such as

), then is it generally just fixed to the wall with a screw through the back panel?

Reply to
Mike Hall

If you do that, you still have to derate the cable.........

You can screw the trunking to the wall, but using domed screws is a good plan to avoid the risk of cable damage from the edges of countersunk screws.

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

In article , Mike Hall writes

Why bother? Use 25mm round conduit for the initial run and 20mm thereafter, and run T&E inside the conduit instead of singles.

That said, I ran one 2.5mm2 and one 1.5mm2 (power and lighting) to my shed in ~15m of 20mm conduit without too much difficulty. I used a bit of talcum powder to lubricate the cables when pulling them through.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

On 27 Apr 2004 00:16:46 -0700, in uk.d-i-y mike snipped-for-privacy@peppertree-broadcast.co.uk (Mike Hall) strung together this:

Spot on that man.

You could do that, the choice is yours. Mini-trunking may be easier though, especially as there's likely to be corners and sets etc that'd be easier to cut 2 mitres in trunking for than bending tube. Conduit doesn't look that good in confined spaces!

Reply to
Lurch

On Tue, 27 Apr 2004 14:53:04 +0100, in uk.d-i-y Mike Tomlinson strung together this:

One word here, derating.

Reply to
Lurch