Joining aluminium square section

I'm hoping to produce a frame for some display material. My initial plan is to produce a square 'tower' about 900mm square and approx 1800mm high - effectively two 900x900 frame cubes - strong enough to carry a light notice board on each of the four 'faces'.

I'm thinking of making the frame from aluminium square section (1cm square?) joined with plastic fixings - square equivalent of the sort of fixings you get for gazebos/markees. The construction needs to be set up and dismantled in minutes, be light, and be constructed of materials that can fit in the back of a car. And it needs to be low cost.

NB Using the design described I'd need 20 lengths of aluminium section 88cm long (having them all the same size helps fast construction) and 12 fixing pieces.

Q. Am I likely to be able to get such aluminium section and plastic fixings? Where?

Any help would be appreciated.

Reply to
John Cartmell

Dunno about square, but could you not use round alloy poles? as these could be got from an aerial supplier. Come to think of it you might get the square ones there as well?

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

how about, two square frames, fixed to, two boards hinged in the centre, on opposite sides to form the 'frame, then some kind of support between the two hinged boards to stop them migratingthen just use got to figure out the other two sides?

p.s how big's the car?

Reply to
Gav

===================== If you want cheap and cheerful.......

Take four pieces of 2"x1" timber. Drill an 8mm hole in each end. Thread a length of 6mm polypropylene rope through four holes at one end and another length through the holes at the other ends. Join the ends of the rope. Take another two lengths of 2"x1" (each about 50" long for your purpose, I think) and join them in the middle with a nut and bolt so that they're free to swivel. Stand the prepared four piece framework upright and use the prepared swivelling cross to spread the four piece framework. It will be rather like a giant box kite frame.

Make another of the same size and stand on top. You'll probably need some kind of locating feet on one of the frames.

p.s. I don't think that aluminium is particularly cheap and finding special plastic fittings to fit could be problematical.

Cic.

Reply to
Cicero

The message from John Cartmell contains these words:

(eBay item)
(eBay item)

Dunno about the fixings though. Perhaps you could hinge it and use diagonal wires to hold it square - or even shock-cord diagonals so it'll self-erect.

Will it be windy or indoors? I'd imagine it'd blow over quite easily outdoors.

Reply to
Guy King

Australian page might offer some ideas:
not low cost though - and the fixings are intended to be permanent.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

There are commercial display products that do what you want, but definitely not at low cost. Nothing to do with commercial display equipment comes at low cost. You will have to design and make your own if you want that. Bamboo is light and strong and could be made a feature of the display, perhaps it could be pushed into holes drilled in solid plastic balls for the joints.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
nightjar

Yes. Its standard stuff for display work. Not sure where..the place that used to do it now is more shedlike than a shed.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Dexion Speedframe.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Would it not be easier to treat the boards as the main structural components, and simply add legs to that assembly? Commercial systems are designed to be modular, but as you have very specific requirements there's no particular reason to go down that path.

Reply to
Rob Morley

Boards need to be mix 'n' match. I'm hoping to get the frame out of no more than straight aluminium section.

Very small when everything else has been packed! ;-(

Reply to
John Cartmell

Al. is light and compact. That's critical and why I'm asking if fittings might exist. I've already dumped a wood alternative because it knackered me & the car!

Reply to
John Cartmell

Indoors. I'd rather not use hinge as that makes a point of weakness - especially with the repeated misuse that it *will* get..

Reply to
John Cartmell

Apart from 'permanent', size (and cost?) those are just what I envisioned. Very many thanks.

Reply to
John Cartmell

Now that *is* thinking outside the box. More planning and checking. Thanks!

Reply to
John Cartmell

OK. Now I need to halve the cost of that - or better- and smaller section will do as it will only need to support light-weight display boards (probably card-covered foam) indoors.

Thanks for the cost link.

Reply to
John Cartmell

Weight & space & longevity. Boards are heavy and take up a lot of space. You can use lightweight boards as long as you have a fairly sturdy frame to hold them. I'm trying to see if I can produce a frame that has strength because of its shape and that will take whatever misuse is directed at it during speedy assembly, disassembly, storage and transport. Cheap & lightweight boards can be stored in loft or replaced. Structural boards are a problem.

Thanks,

Reply to
John Cartmell

I find the same when packing my display equipment into a Mercedes M Class and an 8ft box trailer.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
nightjar

It is getting bored standing around at exhibitions and having a wander around looking at how other stands were designed in case I could nick their ideas.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
nightjar

If you have a frame, you may not even need boards. Many display systems use a fuzzy cloth that you can use hook type Velcro pads to attach things to. Cloth can be stretched across the frame and will roll up for storage. There are also display stands that work like inverted roller blinds coming out of a tube, with a long metal rod to hold them up, which are very compact. They are probably more expensive than you want to pay, but this is a DIY forum.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
nightjar