Joining 4mm flex - connector?

Hmm. The use of flex suggests movement and therefore by nature the possibility of being walked on etc. And a wiring accessory surface mount box is far too easily damaged for this situation as they're simply not designed for it, one face at least being protected by a wall. A steel adaptable box would be a better answer.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

The _underline_ convention in Usenet goes back before any newsreaders actually tried to display it underlined (or emphasised in any other way).

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

What about an ice cream tub filled with plaster of paris??

Reply to
Stephen Dawson

On Sun, 09 Jul 2006 22:05:22 GMT, "Stephen Dawson" had this to say:

Perfectly OK, provided you mix the PoP using deionised water.

Reply to
Frank Erskine

Nah, contravenes Elfin Safety - someone might stub their toe on it.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

The message from Owain contains these words:

Or, heaven forbid, try to eat it. Why anyone might think there would be something edible in a Not Poodle pot is beyond me though.

Reply to
Guy King

In article , David Hansen writes

Try reading my original post again. Hint: it was in plain text.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

On Mon, 10 Jul 2006 08:27:27 +0100 someone who may be Mike Tomlinson wrote this:-

That shows clearly that the word flex is not underlined.

The usual way of emphasising something is to put splodges either side of it, or perhaps even use capitals.

Reply to
David Hansen

In article , David Hansen writes

It is according to the Usenet convention of only posting in plain text. Using an underscore either side of a word or phrase _like_this_ is taken to mean that that word or phrase is underlined. Other people understand that; why don't you?

From

In plain-text computer files, including e-mail communication, where underlining is not possible, it is often indicated by surrounding words with underscore characters. For example, "You must use an _emulsion_ paint on the ceiling".

That's equivalent to boldface. Underlining and boldface are different methods of emphasis.

but that's SHOUTING...

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

On Mon, 10 Jul 2006 08:58:00 +0100 someone who may be Mike Tomlinson wrote this:-

There is such a convention. It has nothing to do with underlining though, which is not possible in plain text.

It is very easy to miss when scanning a message, which is why splodges are used.

Reply to
David Hansen

Yebbut if you use a newsreader like Thunderbird it _actually underlines the underlined text_ between the underlines. If you put text *between asterisks* - which is what I think you call a /splodge/ it will embolden it.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

On Mon, 10 Jul 2006 15:33:05 +0100 someone who may be Owain wrote this:-

Why would I want to do that?

Reply to
David Hansen

In article , David Hansen writes

It has everything to do with indicating underlining in plain text, which is why I posted the Wikipedia entry that you conveniently ignored.

I suggest you adjust your monitor settings or consult an optician.

For your information, the correct term is asterisk.

*plonk*
Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

On Mon, 10 Jul 2006 19:16:27 +0100 someone who may be Mike Tomlinson wrote this:-

Excellent, an "amusing" remark. Nearly always a sign that someone has no better arguments.

You are assuming that I did not know the "correct" term and thus you could "educate" me. Your assumption was incorrect.

Reply to
David Hansen

Good emergency festie food, light to carry and fairly tasty if you've had no food or sleep for three days...

cheers, Pete.

Reply to
Pete C