jig or circular saw?

Hello. I need to cut some mdf flat pack furniture type "wood".

I am planning on "re-designing" some argos furniture.

I have a hand saw, but I can't be bothered with it.

Should I buy a dirt cheap circular saw or a dirt cheap Jigsaw ?

It'll not get used again for a long time.

Reply to
Fray McBentos

Definitely don't even consider a dirt cheap jigsaw.

It won't cut square. It won't cut straight. It might not even hold blades properly. It will probably chip away at the edges (e.g. whatever laminating material that has been applied to the MDF/chip).

Best bet is probably what you don't want to use - a hand saw. If necessary, buy a new, sharp saw. Maybe two different ones if that would help with the job.

Reply to
Rod

Probaly because it needs repairing. ;-)

Do give more information,whats your dirt cheap price?

Reply to
George

Disposable !

15 - 20 quid I guess. Argos has a :

circular for £20 cat : 7105025

and a jig for £10 cat : 7110948

Reply to
Fray McBentos

:-)

What you have to consider is...

A circular will not be able to cut around tight short shapes as opposed to a jig-saw and a cheap jig saw will not give you a straight cuts so the onus on you in what you choose.

Reply to
George

The jig saw would be very useful as a door stop. Thats about the only use it would be any good for. No point even putting a plug on something like that.

The circular saw is indeed disposable but will cut a straight line (see also

el cheapo circular saws have a very coarse blade for ripping timber, so you would prolly need to change that for 24/36 tooth blade - about a £10 for a cheap one.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Neither: tell us exactly what types of cuts ( straight or curved) you need, and someone will tell you what to HIRE which will do a far better job at the same money as buying a piece of consumer crap.

As well as supporting some nice bloke who probably knows what he's on about in the tool hire place,rather than a bunch of marketing wankers and pimply teenagers in B & Q.

Exactly. Then hire good kit, dont buy rubbish.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

If it's all going to be straight cuts get a circular saw - but make sure it has a tipped blade. Most will have. Clamp a batten to the work to act as a guide (where you can) and you'll get a pretty decent cut. You won't with any jigsaw.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

You really should use a sharp hand saw on that type of furniture, unless you want to spend a lot on a decent saw.

Cheap crap will leave really bad crap edges.

Reply to
EricP

I bought a wrox circular saw with laser to cut down some kitchen units to fit around a fire place. With care it was excellent. Use clamps and a straight edge to cut perfectly straight.

Reply to
david.cawkwell

I'd say a cheap (25 quid?) circular saw is likely to give better results in the hands of the unskilled than any handsaw regardless of price.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Not with a sharp blade it won't

Reply to