Jeyes Fluis and Tarmac

"Tarmacked Areas: Dilute 125ml Jeyes Fluid to 5 litres of water in a watering can, then apply sufficient solution to thoroughly wet the affected surfaces. Firstly, make sure to check a small area for softening. If the tarmacked area softens, use a lower dilution of 60ml product to 5 litres of water and repeat treatment 1 month later."

Peter Parry

Dunno, but the smell lingers for days and days. OK if you don't mind your property smelling like a chemical toilet, I suppose.

Reply to
Chris Hogg

Isn't Jeyes basically phenol?

Reply to
Tim Watts

Rather have the odour of cleaning and disinfecting products be more appropriate to what they are rather than presented as some soft scent that is supposed to make you think you are in a field of flowers on a spring day. Wouldn't mind so much but when a neighbour hangs out her washing I can't smell the genuine scents of real flowers in our garden due to the overpowering chemical imitation stink of some washing liquid/conditioner called Summer Breeze or some such.

G.Harman

Reply to
damduck-egg

Probably not, but it's in the same category as good old-fashioned creosote and probably a coal tar distillate of some sort. The smell of creosote is very evocative; the smell of Jeyes Fluid isn't!

Reply to
Chris Hogg

I wonder if those stinky ("it must be doing some good") ingredients are really necessary considering all the modern chemistry we have these days?

Reply to
pamela

It doesn't seem to have done my tarmac drive any harm.

I had a lot of moss growing on my drive. I scraped as much off as I could with a mechanical scraper, and then applied diluted Jeyes Fluid (or, rather, a cheaper generic equivalent) with a pump-up garden spray. I let it stand for a couple of hours to attack what was left of the moss, and then washed it off with a pressure washer. The tarmac survived all of that ok, and looked a lot better when I'd finished.

Reply to
Roger Mills

We live in a country area and when Farmer Jones decides to spray liquid manure we have to take the washing in as the odour clings to them and it is anything but pleasany

Reply to
fred

Thanks for that Roger. I have now sprayed it several times at the recommended dilution and its certainly killing the moss. M y be my imagination but it now seems to be spreading out from the treated areas. May be taking over. Woooo

Reply to
fred

Try sprinkling some "oxi" type washing bleach powder on it ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

I get that as well with a field adjoining us. The occasional stink of the field being farmed is well worth it for the ability the rest of the time to look out and see up to some woods, the occasional Deer or Hare passing through the cattle grazing in the spring and on clear nights a dark sky full of stars. You may not actually be complaining about Farmer Jones or just simply stating what you have to do but there are those who want to live in a country area but are reluctant to realise that dung spreading and Cockerels crowing come with it.

G.Harman

Reply to
damduck-egg

replying to Roger Mills, Colette wrote: I'm spraying my tennis court with eyes fluid but is it necessary to wash it off?

Reply to
Colette

That's what the instructions say - but I don't know what happens if you don't!

I left mine on for a couple of days rather than the recommended half hour (? can't remember exactly) with no ill effects.

Unless there's a drought, it will soon get washed off by rain, anyway.

Reply to
Roger Mills

Are you crying all over it ?

Reply to
Andrew

In the meantime it will pong a great deal and piss off the neighbours. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

If he's got a tennis court, the neighbours will be a long way away.

Reply to
newshound

Date: Fri, 16 Sep 2016

I think he will have found out by now.

Reply to
Peter Parry

Yes, I guess he will. This Jeyes Fluid type of question seems to come up quite often though, exactly what is in that foul smelling stuff? Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

It includes 2.5-5% terpineol 'for fragrance'. LOL! Perhaps it would smell better without it.

Reply to
Chris Hogg