Jewsons must be getting desperate....

I have a trade account card with them. They send me special offers by text message once a month.

The latest text message, which I recieved on 30th November and I quote word for word:

FREE BOTTLE OF WINE every time you spend £100 ex VAT 2-14 Dec. Reach Max

12 bottles get FREE bottle of bubbly! Collect Orders +18s only.UNSUB tx JSN STOP to 80166.

I showed it to my wife who commented... "How many builders drink wine let alone drink bubbly?" It would make more sense if it was beer/lager or cider even.

What about Teetotal tradesmen or or tradesmen who don't drink alcohol for religious or health reasons?

I commented on each branhc having to apply for a alcohol licence. My wife, who is incidentally a alcohol licensee said that if its being given away for free, a licence is not needed...

But of course, the booze is being paid for indirectly out of the profit margin of the materials being bought....

Reply to
Stephen

On Tuesday 03 December 2013 19:08 Stephen wrote in uk.d-i-y:

I think that's a bit prejudiced - the chap who did my roof was very partial to wine :)

So's all advertising, special offers and gimmicks.

Reply to
Tim Watts

and therefore needs a licence, as I learned when I obtained my Personal Licence. Even a raffle or tombola with alcohol as a prize needs a licence.

Reply to
charles

In article , Stephen writes

The material fact may be that it is being provided as part of a consideration for a service (supply of goods)[1] so is the subject licensing regs.

[1] If you're not buying the goods then you are not eligible.
Reply to
fred

and therefore surely the company designated premises supervisor needs a licence, and also the premises needs a premises licence?

Did Jewsons pay for all the licencing to be done for every branch and for every designated premises supervisor? It would be interesting to know.....

Reply to
Stephen

Free Christmas presents? But I doubt it's good enough wine for that.

Must admit these sort promotions never have anything really useful involved, booze, 2 fers in some horrible chain "restraunt", child admission to a theme park, all useless crap. Where's the £100 Axminster vouchers...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

hth

Reply to
The Other Mike

I don't believe that is the case.

So long as the tombola is incidental and part of another event (i.e. its not a commercial enterprise - or the sole purpose of the event), and the tickets are sold, and the price awarded on the day, it should be license free.

Reply to
John Rumm

"Free" as in a promotion for buying £x of goods somewhere else? Rather than paying Axminster £100?

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Type casting again!

I don't like sport - any sport, bores the arse off me. But if I want to know what special offers Screwfix/Wickes have on - I have to flip through the sports pages in the newspaper.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

On Wednesday 04 December 2013 08:36 The Medway Handyman wrote in uk.d-i-y:

Good man!

I can truely say I have never watched an entire game of any sport except ne match of american football. That wa sonly because a mate a *long* time ago got some spare tickets to Wembly and asked if I wanted to go. In the spirit of open mindedness I did.

***** it was boring. Those buggers moved then stopped and had a yak for a duty cycle of about 1:3

No wonder they need cheerleaders!

Reply to
Tim Watts

If Jewsons really want more trade they could just make it easier for people to buy stuff online without arsing around getting an account.

Philip

Reply to
philipuk

+1.....

sport bores me to death that I'd rather watch paint dry.......

Whats the fun in watching 22 men playing with their balls?

Whats the fun watching a white spot dancing about on a green screen?

During world cup/UEFA etc I can't even find a big enough beer garden without having the ambience ruined by the jeering 'n' cheering going on inside the pub....

It riles me that my workplace allow staff to start their shifts later or have 2 hour long lunch breaks or finish their shift early just to watch an dancing airbag.....

I like films, and my workplace will not extend the same courtesy to me, which I think is grossly unfair discriminates against film watchers.....

What about people who want to watch Omnibus episodes of COrrie, Emmerdale or eastenders?

Why do all these sports "fans" get preferential treatment?

Reply to
Stephen

Or so you were told by some arse-covering Jobsworth.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

no - I even read the relevant legal bits on thn DCMS website.

Reply to
charles

That is very interesting. I wonder if they have got a license for retail sale of alcohol for each of their premises? Or have limited it to under

96 hours and a TEN in place for each one.

Much more fundamental it would appear to be in direct conflict with the

2003 Licensing Act (revised) - a draconian piece of legislation offering penalties of up to 6 months in jail and £20k fine.

Whilst they might turn a blind eye to a church giving away a glass of mulled wine with a charged for mince pie I can't see them taking kindly to this fragrant breach of the public sale of alcohol by a builders merchant. I hope they have got good lawyers because they will need them.

There was a similar killjoy incident against hairdressers in 2008.

Reply to
Martin Brown

Not sure that is quite accurate. ISTR There is an exemption if all the tickets are sold on the night and it is a real raffle with a limited number of prizes (not an every ones a winner disguised sale).

You also need a Small Lotteries License at ISTR about £40 per year.

You do have to be careful with retail sale of alcohol licensing rules if you are running a community event. The penalties for getting it wrong are draconian with 6 months in jail and a £20k fine.

Reply to
Martin Brown

That exemption is from having small lottery licence, nothing to do with alcohol.

Reply to
charles

mogga