Jewson trade account

I have a biggish project coming up at the end of the month, so I set up a trade account with Jewson, my local builders merchant. They've just sent me a "trade price list".

Taking a random item off that, Thistle Finish Plaster is £5.93 + VAT = £7.12. Or at Wickes it's £5.49.

So, what are Jewson playing at? How can anyone afford to use them? Am I meant to call the branch and negotiate a discount?

Reply to
GB

IME, with any trade account, you get the best discounts by visiting the branch regularly and getting known by the staff. In my local branch of Jewsons, they will offer to see what the best price is they can give me, without my having to ask.

Reply to
Nightjar

I had a nice chat with the local manager, and it does seem a bit like they expect you to discuss the price of every item you buy.

Reply to
GB

I went into the trade P&D suppliers looking for paint.

At the time I was just looking for white emulsion for a ceiling. They offered me some no-name own brand at 18 quid. I had previously seen Dulux in B&Q for 13. God know what they wanted for the branded stuff.

Part of my job in preparation was painting behind the radiators because the numpty who I previously employed didn't have the brushes for the job. So I had recently picked up a pack of 3 for 3.99 in the local high street hardware shop. What did I see behind the counter, but the same brushes hanging up at 7.99 *each*.

Looks like I am going to have to review my choice of colour for the walls down from the "mix any colour that you want" trade paint to the retail offering, unless I can find someone who will get the, presumably, standard trade discount of "50% off" in the trade store as anything less and it isn't the slightest bit competitive with even a rip-off DIY store.

tim

Reply to
tim...

One of my lads is converting a commercial unit into a bar (build materials costs £10k plus). Before starting he did a lot of research before ruling out Jewson and TP in favour of Wickes. And he got the 15% Easter online discount on the first £7k.

Reply to
newshound

At our local TP it depends on who you talk to.

The more senior the person the bigger discount they can offer.

Usually best to get them to give you their "best price" on any large order

- the suggestion being that you will be ringing round all the large builders' merchants comparing quotes.

And, yes, I've heard local tradespeople moaning at TP because they are more expensive for some stuff than the Homebase down the road.

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
David

but Homebase "down the road" don't deliver that afternoon for free

(or don't the Trades do that anymore?)

tim

Reply to
tim...

You see, that's the common fallacy with Trade Accounts - that they are cheaper. They arent for many things. My electrical wholesalers sell stuff at the same price to everyone. But, because I've got an account with them, they will deliver free of charge and allow me a month to pay the bill. They are cheaper than B+Q, but may be a little more expensive than Screwfix. I'm not bothered, as it is convenience that makes me use them, as well as they will have the parts I require in stock. If I wanted cheap, I'd be shopping around the internet, and/or using 4 different shops to get what I want. But, I charge by the hour, and people dont want me gone for 2 hours fetching parts as they are 50p cheaper 5 miles away. DIYers are in no rush generally for their materials, so can plan ahead and get the best price, even if it means going across town to save a few pounds.

Reply to
A.Lee

They will expect that most of their customers are VAT registered and reclaiming the tax.

Reply to
Peter Johnson

They can reclaim the VAT they pay at Wickes, too. The net of VAT prices are £5.93 at Jewson or £4.57 at Wickes.

Reply to
GB

When I pull into the Jewson yard, the guy is ready to hump stuff on the back. I'm rarely there more than 5 mins. Takes me that long to find a working trolley in Homebase

Reply to
Stuart Noble

Exactly why I never use them. Prices higher than local independent BMs and I think it's basically dishonest to sell stuff at higher prices to customers who aren't savvy.

Reply to
David Lang

We have three independent BMs in Medway, so thankfully I don't need to use Jewson/TP.

Reply to
David Lang

Bless. I bet you have a tablet computer or a smart phone..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

??????

Reply to
David Lang

Who the HELL are you using if parts are more expensive at your electrical wholesalers than at Screwfix?

CEF would be my guess?

Reply to
ARW

I went to CEF once. They were more expensive than the Homebase next door. Never again.

Reply to
Fredxxx

Some trade accounts charge the same price but may refund x% if the overall spend exceeds a threshold amount over a 3/6/12 month period. It's unlikely that an individual will reach the threshold spend.

Reply to
alan_m

Newave, a local one to me. They cant compete on CU's with Screwfix. Click Mode fittings are a good price, cable is pretty much the same as Screwfix.

No chance. I dont know how they stay in business, they charge double the price of Edmundsens where I'm working at the mo.

Reply to
A.Lee

(stuff at higher prices to customers who aren't savvy)=(Tablet computer or a smart phone).

.
Reply to
The Natural Philosopher