Jelly crimps

TLC are now stocking these

I have used them on recent phone/broadband wiring and found them to be very quick to fit - Openreach have been using them for a while.

It is a shame that they are not available to take larger diameters.

Reply to
rbel

I think Openreach were using them before they were called Openreach.

For larger wires there is 3M Scotchlok.

Reply to
Graham.

I thought that the 3M Scotchlok were for very similar sized wire to the non-branded items available from TLC. I was thinking of something to replace 1.5mm standard crimps.

Reply to
rbel

John Rumm

Thanks John. I have been using Wago 222 and 224 for some time but didn't realise they did a smaller version.

Reply to
rbel

something

No jell fill, if that is important to the OP. They work well enough but I'm never really convinced there is enough contact area to carry

16A or more...

What I find curious about the TLC info on the jelly beans (which are IDC not crimp) is the "Use Times: >100". Is there a hole to push the button and IDC blades back out? I've always thought of jelly beans as single use.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

It seems as though they do

- apparently for professional use only :)

Reply to
rbel

There is a small hole that is part of the button assembly but, having depressed the button there appears to be no way to lever the blades up again (have just managed to bend one of SWMBO's sewing needles trying it).

Reply to
rbel

Nothing on the reverse side to push through? I don't have any examples to examine without taking the cover off the BT cable joint across the road... As they are jell filled wouldn't the jell squidge through any holes when you squeezed the button in to make the joint? I guess the proper tool could have a pin to block any such holes.

Yipes, that would be an instant hung drawn and quatered offence in this household.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

They were in use by BT before they hived off Open Reach ... may have even been used by Post Office.

Reply to
Rick Hughes

Turn the crimp 90 degrees and press with the crimp pliers, they pop out again. I doubt they would be reusable up to 100 times though. I only reuse if I am running low, they are that cheap its not worth getting the gel all over your hands/tools

Reply to
Yendor

On that topic, I noticed the otehr day in their 'new products' mailing that Screwfix are now selling 'Ideal' connectors, which look a bit like some of the Wago range. Dunno if they're any good/better but I guess it's worth knowing tehre are options...

Reply to
GMM

En el artículo , rbel escribió:

Are you sure that's not just for the jelly to squeeze out of as the thing is crimped?

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

I have just tried this with snipe nose pliers and the top flies out and, in my case, disappeared into the depths of my tool box.

Thanks for the tip.

Reply to
rbel