JCBD-24CSDS

Been after a cordless SDS for a while, mainly for putting up curtain poles & the like.

I have a Wickes/Kress mains SDS which gets used for chasing out walls, breaking concrete, decking jobs etc, but its frequently grubby. What with that & a mains lead I'd rather a cordless.

Makro have the JCB branded one on offer @£80 +VAT with 2 x 2a/hr batts which is a bit of a bargain.

know its a cheapie PRC machine, but its only going to get light drilling use & I can't justify the Bosch/Makita/DeWalt prices for something that is a convenience not a necessity.

Anybody got one or tried one?

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

I've been tempted to one for some time. I've used the *old* bosch 24v one, and very good - and I put in a much bigger bit than the recommended max.

(this one - but be aware it's now an old model and not compatible with the rest of their 24v system

Dang useful if you do jobs away from mains power or with the power switched off.

I'd be pretty dubious about a jcb branded battery (is there anything jcb don't brand?). A year or two from now it may be very poor at holding a charge - whilst a pro tool/battery may average out cheaper over several years)

Certainly as a pro user, could you think about scraping together an extra 100 quid?

dom

you know what will happen... the batteries will last only so long and you will probably have to fork out for a whole new one. If you are going to use it to earn money, then you can't afford to tit about with questionable tools.

Reply to
John Rumm

>> Dang useful if you do jobs away from mains power or with the power > switched off.

afford it, can't justify it. It would be nearer £150 anyway. If I got

2 years out of it for £80 I'd be happy.

Hmmmm.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Its a complex thing running a handyman business. I love buying new tools, especially power tools. Trouble is now, I have the "I need it for the business" justification. Very easy to let things get out of control.

I put up lots of blinds, curtain poles, etc in new builds and I work regularly for a couple of 'up market' curtain makers. The latter are willing to pay for someone who removes their boots before tramping over cream carpets, fixes heavy poles & tracks 100% first time, cleans up afterwards & doesn't break wind in front of their clients. Their clients then become my clients for other profitable jobs.

80% of the time my combi does the job. If I hit a lintel I have to dig out the Wickes SDS, which may have been used the day before to break out concrete in a muddy garden. The drill looks filthy, the cable is muddy, I have to use an extension cable which could pull over an expensive ornament etc.

A cordless SDS would be used maybe 3 to 6 times a month for light drilling (6mm or 8mm bit) no chiselling/breaking. Its value would be as a convenience and a more professional way of doing the 20% 'lintel' jobs.

I can't justify £250 to do that, so its either spend £80 + VAT or keep dragging out the grubby Wickes mains SDS.

So, yes I'm going to use it to earn money, but it won't earn any 'extra' money, because I can only work 6 days a week.

Still cogitating.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

A couple of other obvious options: buy another decent corded SDS and extension lead to be used *only* on clean inside jobs. Total cost unlikely to be much more than the JCB jobbie. (in fact the hitachi rotation only SDS drills are good and cheap enough).

Alternatively if you want a cordless, look at eBay etc for a decent drill but "body only". Just pick one that matches batteries and chargers that you already have. (for example my 18V impact driver cost me £77 that way rather than the £250+ required for the full kit)

Reply to
John Rumm

Thats not a bad idea at all John. Hadn't thought of that angle. Screwfix have the Ryobi on offer for £40

go & take a look at that.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

I bought into the bosch 14.4V system - virtually all my cordless tools can interchange batteries.

The downside is I now look at "body only" items on ebay - and tempt myself to tools I don't really need!

Reply to
dom

Thanks for that bit of lateral thinking John. I bought the Ryobi 650w mains SDS from Screwfix at £39:99. Lads at the local trade counter said I could take it back if not happy.

pleased with it. No rotation stop, but no problem for my application as it will only ever drill holes.

Tried it out tonight on my 'test' garage brick (very hard) wall. First impression was that it was in 'drill only' mode because it was much quieter than my Wickes SDS. I reckon it actualy drills faster though. Seems like lighter blows, but more of them.

The next Ryobi model up with rotation stop is 750w. I conclude that 'drill only' SDS machines differ from 'drill & chisel' machines in their design - machines that also chisel having heavier blows, but less of them per minute.

Anywho, seems solid & well made, carry case is very good, space for a few bits, around 15' of cable & ideal for my application & a real bargain at £39:99.

Cheers

Reply to
The Medway Handyman