JCB 3CX

Hello, Has anyone heard of any problems with the extradig on the back actor on the 3CX? I own two newish (2003 & 2004) 3CX's and the loocking pin for the extradig (when I'm using a rockbreaker) have worn away and it does damage to the pin holes in the extradig and dipper (they wear away very quickley on one side). I've had to get the holes dressed by JCB on both machines within 18 months of purchase, and I find that very annoying as well as expensive. The locking pin keeps getting worn away and pops out letting the extradig slide out. Is there a design fault with the machine? Fustrated, Ollie

Reply to
ollie

Sorry Ollie, can't help, but I'm posting to ask whether anyone knows of another newsgroup for digger problems. I have had replies to them from here and from uk.bus.agriculture and uk.rec.cars.maintenance, but I suspect there might be a better place to ask. Would prefer usenet to these endless slow forums.

-- Holly, in France Gite to let in Dordogne, now with pool.

Holly, in France

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ There's part of the problem,

have worn away and it does

Not a design fault, but may be a problem with lack of maintenance on the pin lock or an excessively oval hole wear. If the extradig is just sliding out I'd be looking for something other than the pin lock . IIRC they have a ram inside that extends the box section so what is happening there?

Reply to
R obbo

Thanks for the reply, I didnt know how to describe the hole but you got it in one with, excessively oval hole wear. The hole becomes large with the weight of the extradig on it. To fix it we had to take the entire extradig off, and weld a 20mm (if I remember corectly) plate onto the dipper to add beairng area to the dipper hole and then slide the extradig back onto the dipper, which is a trickey and demanding job.

On the comment about the rockbreaker, I ues a Montrabert SX125 and dealer claim that it is designed for the 3CX. Even though we all know breakers shake the life out of any machine, no matter how well they are built.

Ollie.

R obbo wrote:

Reply to
ollie