japlac

Hello,

In my search for non-yellowing white paint, I stumbled across "japlac" on the international paints' web site. It doesn't say much, except that it's a high gloss finish suitable for wood (and other materials) inside and out. What exactly is it? I it more hard-wearing than gloss and does it yellow? If so, does it yellow faster or slower than "normal" gloss? I did spent 'phone the International help line but they didn't seem to know any more than me ;(

Thanks, Stephen.

Reply to
Stephen

Years ago maybe 20 I painted trim in one room with 2 of the most expensive paints made, both white, I forget why I used 2 brands, both were stated not to yellow, one has badly. So nobody can say about craplac, use a known name brand.

Reply to
ransley

International is hardly a crap brand. I cant answer the OQ though.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

From what I remember, Japlac is some sort of wierd enamal paint. It is

*very* hig gloss _ I used some years back for painting some wooden toys.

Dunno about the yellowing though. Only paint I've found in our conservatory that hasn't yellowed is the dulux waterbased gloss - horrible to work with though (but much better for my ashtma :))

Darren

Reply to
dmc

Japlac is a well known brand going back to at lest the 50's

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Japlac is a high gloss lacquer that simulates Asian lacquerwork, specifically JAPanese LACquer.

It is all explained here:

Bruce

Japlac is a known name brand to those who know anything about the subject. Now crawl back under your rock.

Reply to
Man at B&Q

This lot used to do a very tough non yellowing paint, developed mainly to do platform edges on the London Underground I believe.

Reply to
stuart noble

Absolutely horrible to work with ;)

I tried it but even with synthetic brushes (as recommended by Dulux) the paint film does not merge to form a smooth finish: the brush strokes stay visible.

I tried a roller but found that that caused a diffuse finish rather than a gloss finish.

This is the dilemma: use non-yellowing horrible gloss now and have a horrible finish from day one or use oil based paint and get a horrible finish when it yellows later!

The Dulux help line suggested I tried their new "eco" paint. They said it was water based but with a proper gloss finish. Having burned my fingers with the fast drying gloss, I am scared to make the same mistake twice. Has anyone used this?

Thanks, Stephen.

Reply to
Stephen

So would you recommend it for skirting and architrave?

I did search Wikipedia for "japlac" but never thought to look at the "japanning" entry, though IMHO it didn't really say much.

I have heard that lack of UV light accelerates the yellowing of white paint and I remember the underground paint (underground= no uv?) being mentioned here before. IIRC it was expensive though? I will have to ask them.

What type of UV is required to prevent yellowing? Is the yellowing reversible? If you put yellowed paint outdoors or under a sunbed (LOL) or blacklight would it revert back to white?

Thanks, Stephen.

Reply to
Stephen

Japlac is a brand of enamel paint that has been on the market since at least 1954. I have no idea how well the white will stand yellowing as I have only used coloured on indoor applications. The colour seems to last well.

Reply to
AlanG

I think I still have a tin somewhere: it came with a yellow Viva: long departed.

Spamlet

I've found that yellowing is reversed if the yellowed paint is placed outdoors. I strongly suspect that a sunbed would have the same effect.

Reply to
Mr Fuxit

not much good if its a door frame :-)

Reply to