Japanese earthquake - GPS consequences

With the various geographic shifts which have occoured, I wonder if GPS mapping will need to be tweeked in affected areas?

Shifts of several metres have been reported, and that may be enough to cause GPS mapping software with 'snap to road' functions to snap to the wrong road now.

Reply to
Ron Lowe

mapping will need to be tweeked in affected areas?

GPS mapping software with 'snap to road' functions to

Yes, someone on the news earlier this week said this was likley, and mentioned a movement of 10 feet IIRC.

Reply to
Graham.

I have been musing on a statement I heard or read that the earth's orbit has shifted. How much will this effect clocks? Will we need more/ less leap seconds?

Chris

Reply to
chrisj.doran

The figure I saw was 1.8 microseconds (that a day is shorter).

So you will need to put your clocks forward 1 second, around 3500 AD/CE.

Reply to
BartC

I don't think the ORBIT has shifted..but the meridian may have...

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

"Graham." gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

It'd need a lot more than 10ft for this to be Ilkley.

Reply to
Adrian

Yeah, I'd have been rather scared, too.

Oh - SHIFTS...

Reply to
Skipweasel

It would however affect the more sophisticated units that receive additional correction information via a geostationary satellite.

Reply to
Graham.