James May - Man Lab - How not to wire a plug.

I'd assumed it was actually set off by someone who was watching to see when James May had moved far enough away to be out of serious danger...

Reply to
docholliday

I recently removed a broken dishwasher in our kitchen. It was hardwired into a flex outlet plate behind which was fed from a FCU in a more accessible place. The blue flex was wired to the red cable, and the brown flex was wired to the black cable. At least the earth was connected to the correct terminal...

Reply to
funkyoldcortina

Our house has black and grey meter tails from the meter to the old fusebox. No idea which is which!

Reply to
funkyoldcortina

The cables which are closer to the centre of the meter are the neutrals. The cables to the outside of the meter are lives.

Reply to
Dave Osborne

They were all intended to be delayed by a greater or lesser extent. Ones that went bang the moment they left the aircraft were probably considered unsatisfactory by the Luftwaffe!

Typically they would set the fuse time to allow the bomb to reach the ground and penetrate some distance before detonating - they do far more damage that way than exploding on contact. Adding in a few with longer time delays also helped mix things up - a detonated bomb did not require much care and attention to clear up after, a UXB however caused far more hassle. Of the UXBs some were running long clocks, and others were intended to go up much sooner, but suffered clock stoppages for whatever reason - these obviously being particularly nasty in that any vibration or handling could set them running again.

The early fuses were simpler timer based designs typically, but they were relatively easily defeated. In the early days of the war the papers would boast of our successes in defusing them, however that simply encouraged the Germans to increase the level of sophistication of the fuses and the countermeasures they included. Needless to say a D notice was soon slapped on the reporting of any defusing exploits!

Reply to
John Rumm

Errm they are lined up for the blokes to gawp at. Although last time I looked at them, it looked like chucking out time at one of those bars that sells over-priced fruit and alcohol drinks.

Well whatever turns you on.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Well, yes. But brown wasn't an option with red black and green. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Those are likely just the outer sheaths. Beneath it should be red and black, or brown and blue, depending on age.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Ahh well that would be what the fuse wire was for. They had a wire that was attached to the plane and it detached from the bomb to activate the fuse arming mechanism. I understand that the fuse wire could be detached and left on the bomb if they were jettisoned which stopped them arming.

I think they do less damage when they bury themselves. It was certainly true that the V2 did less damage than the V1 as the V2 penetrated deeper into the ground. There were obvious exceptions like the grand slam which was intended to bury itself and bring down bridges and similar stuff by displacing them on the ground (so called earthquake bombs).

That is why they fitted anti-tamper fuses to them so they were difficult to defuse before they went up.

Reply to
dennis

Thank goodness. I don't really know what "serious motoring" is, but it sounds pretty dull and tedious. A bit like the IAM meetings my dad attended for a while.

Reply to
Halmyre

In message , Tim Streater writes

Or, as Charlotte Church related when being introduced to Pres. Bush

When she said she was from Wales he asked "What state is that in ?"

That's what she sais, anyway

Reply to
geoff

In message , Mike Tomlinson writes

Reply to
geoff

I understand you have to be a non-bloke to get into the front row, and that unless you bring a non-bloke you can't get in at all.

And the presenters are all married men :)

Andy

Reply to
Andy Champ

In article , Halmyre writes

MK Safetyplug, IIRC.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

In message , "dennis@home" writes

Denboi - have you ever thought of a career as a bomb disposal operative

plenty of jobs going in Afghanistan, since you've been made redundant

Reply to
geoff

MCBs use Green for "off" and Red for "on", but many appliances use Green for "on" and Red for "standby". Perhaps it would have been better to use Blue for "off" and Brown for "on"...

Reply to
js.b1

I just love blue LEDs - I could watch them all day 8-)

Not that long ago, they used to cost 30 quid each, too.

Reply to
Frank Erskine

In message , Frank Erskine writes

But why do they all seem so big? discrete little LEd on something fine,. But I had a PC case that had a big blue light on the power button, and I recently bought a cheap wireless keyboard and mouse from Tesco. I've relocated the main desktop PC to the living room whilst redecorate it's normal room and the wired keyboard was a bit awkward.

It has a receiver with a bleedin great blue LED button that flashes everytime you press a key or move the mouse. I had to hide it after about 10 seconds.

Reply to
chris French

In message , chris French writes

Manufacturers don't seem to take into account that the light from blue LEDs does seem to be particularly intrusive.

I've got a TV and a recorder with them (one showing blue when it's in 'standby', and the other when it's 'on'). Three layers of masking tape (neatly cut to cover the light) are required to dim the light to a comfortable eerie glow.

Reply to
Ian Jackson

Yup.

Reply to