It's Not Easy Being Green

How do you get manure from a dairy farmer? Slurry maybe, but these people have a river nearby and sticking that sort of quantity of slurry onto the ground is just asking for rivver pollution from the run-off. Slurry's evil stuff to get rid of, especially this time of year with bursts of heavy rain.

I'd much rather find a horse stable and take their manure, even if you have to do it far more slowly.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Horse manure is considered superior because it is less likely to contain weed seeds. I supose most dairy farmers keeping their stock indoors will feed them half sterile stuff anyway so I imaginr there'd be litlle or no difference.

The run-off in a crew-yard is due to the urine which would run off into grassland, were the poor animals allowed out, ever.

Makes you think, if these beasts are the one's getting well looked after, what hapens to the ones they experiment on when the product goes horribly wrong which I imagine happens most of the time.

Good job they do it all behind closed doors. I wonder how long they have to wait when they are given something excruciating? Anyone know how many of the world's best and most humane vets are standing by, to take care of them instantly.

Somehow the TV newsmen never seem to ask that one.

No easy being green? It's a lot harder if you are an animimal in a farm cage.

Reply to
Weatherlawyer

Yes, and we have the nerve to call ourselves "civilised".

Reply to
Bob Martin

It's still quite common for over wintering beasts to be kept and fed indoors, and bedded on straw.

At the end of the year, the muck+straw is moved out to a pile in a field (you can see them round here) to rot for a year. They go nice and black after 12 months, and they're called (with little imagination) "muck heaps".

Then it's spread on the fields. Its partially about fertilisation, and partially about waste disposal.

A polite word with the farmer will allow the purchase of the stuff in the pile.

BugBear

Reply to
bugbear

Bother. I was waiting for someone to say "Give him senna pods", or something.

Reply to
Chris Bacon

The glass cutter.

I liked the idea of the gass cullet maker. Anyone any idea how it works? Magic sound waves is all we got told.

Reply to
Weatherlawyer