It's my fault - but...

Bought a 1.6VA 22v toroidal transformer from Digikey some time back. Part of an order where I made it up to free postage.

It's labelled Talema - but unlike UK ones has no diagram or other information like spec etc printed on it. So downloaded the PDF from the Digikey site - but was in a bit of a rush when looking at it. And the diagram I saw suggested the primary would be the usual - blue and brown for 230 volt with the other ends of the 115v windings just linked. But I looked at the wrong diagram. Blue and brown was actually one of the secondary windings...

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

That would have been a bit tingly on the output!

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

BigBang then?

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

You get quite an impressive bang when you connect a switched mode PSU to the mains, which turns out to be 120V-only input...

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

I'm told that you get an impressive bang if you leave the secondary open-circuit on a 5000 to 1 toroidal current transformer. I never dared try it.

Reply to
Matty F

It generates a high voltage on the secondary, which comes as a big surprise to people who handle them but don't understand the principles, as the secondary voltage in proper use is extremely low, and safe to touch. I imagine the secondary winding insulation would break down eventually, and then it would get very hot if a single turn shorted out. If it melted through the insulation of the main pass-through conductor, you could get a big bang.

If there's no load for a current transformer (such as a moving iron ammeter), then the secondary output should be shorted out to prevent damage to the transformer and avoid the unexpected high voltage on the terminals.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Somewhat different, I was once working on a prototype ac voltage detection relay, with a laminated core. It buzzed unacceptably, so someone suggested a shaded pole. I didn't have a suitable piece of copper to hand, so brazed a short length into a loop, and inserted it into a slot cut into the laminations. I have to admit to being a little skeptical about the change of success.

Confounding my doubts, it worked a treat, but after a very short time, the current flowing in the copper melted the brazing material.

The production version had a section cut off a suitable copper tube, and is still running round the railways.

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon