It never rains - RCBO tripping

If you can, it could be worth removing the element, scrubbing the ends with something that will remove any clag, rinsing well and then baking it in the oven at,say, 150C to dry it. I did this for several clagged-up elements some years ago and they're all still OK.

Reply to
PeterC

Max permitted for IT equipment RFI suppression is 0.75mA, IIRC.

If designing a circuit for 10mA leakage, in the old regs it would have to be a high integrity earthing circuit, which was not the normal arrangement for a domestic ring circuit, although it could be made so by connecting the two ends of the CPC to different earth terminals in the CU. Also max design leakage for an RCD was 1/4 of its rating, which is 7.5mA for a 30mA RCD.

So I would say 10mA is well outside permitted, although I don't have the relevant EN which lists the values for white goods. It's probably the same as for IT equipment.

If it also has a conventional grill or fan oven, you could try running those for a bit and see if drying out improves it any.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Here's one I made earlier (probably 25 years ago). I think all the parts were probably bought from Maplin.

It doesn't have anything to limit the test duration, which would be a safety requirement today.

The settings are designed for testing 10mA and 30mA RCDs.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

On Sunday 27 October 2013 12:57 Andrew Gabriel wrote in uk.d-i-y:

Nice :)

Reply to
Tim Watts