It just goes round and round

Page 2 of 2

Have you made sure that you've released the locking lug on the nut first. Most machines have a strap that fits under the nut and into a groove in the wheel. The metal strap is then wrapped up at the edge around the side of the nut and is there to stop vibration from shaking the nut loose. If you forget about, it makes removing the nut a real pain in the proverbial.
--
http://www.basecuritysystems.no-ip.com

Hi!
If it's an old Maytag machine, you can simply block the transmission underneath the drum to stop it from turning. I had to do this when I replaced a tub seal in a 70s-something Maytag washer...
I suppose it might work for other machines as well where the transmission seems to "ride around" the power shaft.
William
message

Hi William. I guess youre in America - the type of machines you have in America have all but disappeared here. We use front loaders, the clothes just dip into the water once per turn, and they use a fraction of the amount of water and electricity. Very different to US top loaders. There is no agitator. The power transmission is a belt, and when the drum seizes the belt burns through.
Regards, NT