Isolating Extractor Fan

Hi all

AIUI, it is now regulation to locally isolate power to a toilet/bathroom/whatever extractor fan. I did this in my bathroom refurb by isolating the feed to both the light and fan with a DP switch.

I am now looking at the downstairs toilet which requires a replacement fan and re-ducting of fan outlet. Trouble is that the feed to the fan comes from a junction box under the main bathroom floor (not too easy to get at), so the accessible wiring is the 3 core and earth fan supply only ie perm live, switched live, neutral and earth.

So the question is: Can I put an isolator in before the fan which will break both live feeds and neutral, or am I missing something here?

TIA

Phil

Reply to
TheScullster

You want one of these:

for the job. They come in other ranges too, this is MK so probably a tad expensive

Reply to
Richard Conway

Wickes also do them £??

Peter

Reply to
Peter Andrews

> £6.30

JoeJoe

"Richard Conway" wrote

Thanks Richard - I like MK and as it is for my gaff I'll spend the money - compared to the other offerings, the quality difference is visible! Does look like the on-off switch positions are reversed though.

Phil

Reply to
TheScullster

Yes, which is rather stupid. Mine's in a line of isolators, the other two being FCU's from the same range, and as you say, the fan isolator alone is upside down for no good reason I can think of. The switch is actually their standard 3-switch light switch, with a single rocker operating all 3 switches together.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Maybe its so that when you attach the red catch and the padlock the red catch hangs over the body of the switch as opposed to hanging below the switch. Only reason I can think of anyway.

Reply to
Richard Conway