Is your Samsung SMART TV down ?

I was aware my TV was a linux box in disguise (similarly from the GPL in the manual) what I had been unaware of for 6 years is that it has a fan

- completely unnoticeable until you mount it on a wall, then it become noticeable :-(

Reply to
Andy Burns

did you get the updates 'over the air' ?

I did notice BBC sports app appear yesterday

Reply to
Rick Hughes

Yes

I'm in Italy at the moment, and an app appeared giving (restricted) access to the main TV channel (RAI-1) here.

Reply to
Timothy Murphy

Are you sure? Mine came with set-up instructions and was up and going in

5 minutes. I've mostly used it for youtube on the TV (sport & concerts).
Reply to
Bob Martin

Should have been brief (but that's all you need) instructions in the box ...

1) install the chromecast app (I used the android version, I believe you can do this step on an iOS or Windows device too). 2) Plug dongle into HDMI port.

3) Plug USB power into dongle (I bet HDMI spec now wishes it had supplied 5V power).

4) Run the app which detects the dongle

5) Push settings (name, wifi details) to the dongle, possibly wait for dongle to update its firmware and restart.

Not really the same, you don't "use" the dongle as a device in its own right, you just treat it as an alternate output for other devices.

On android, make sure you've updated apps such as iPlayer and YouTube to latest versions, they should gain a "cast" icon, which toggles whether they play media locally, or to the dongle.

Works nicely for what it does, YMMV especially if trying to access UK content when not in the Uk.

Reply to
Andy Burns

It does, pin 18 5 V but only 50 mA (250 mW).

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Almost certainly Android, which is a distant relative.

Reply to
Huge

I couldn't _find_ a stupid TV. I wanted just a monitor - no tuner, no speaker, nothing. We ended up with something with built-in iPlayer etc - because it handled movement well.

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris

Service notice popped onto mine

"SMART TV down for maintenance 08/05/2014 06:00-06:30"

A second site being added perhaps?

Reply to
Andy Burns