Is Vasilene OK to lubricate O rings?

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember "Rick Hughes" saying something like:

The durty bastards!

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

Thanks to all for the advice I have ordered some potable silicone grease online. Only a 50g tube, but it will last me several lifetimes.

Steve

Reply to
Steve

And they can give you a bad bite if you don't do it right ..lol

Reply to
Usenet Nutter

That's interesting. All I know about garlic is that is contains sulphur compounds.

Reply to
Gib Bogle

Basterds.

Reply to
Gib Bogle

And that's probably the issue, since sulphur is used in vulcanisation in order to promote cross-linking between rubber molecules & hence harden the rubber. If that goes too far, the rubber becomes brittle.

Reply to
Huge

Yes. As does wool and especially wool felt.

So either of them need to be kept well away from silver, or (to a lesser extent) from natural rubber. If you're lining a jewellery box, use silk, cotton or synthetics (and a few of those need to be avoided too), never wool or felt.

I have an old coat, which I'd guess at being around 1890 or so. It's a felted woolen fabric (Loden) and has patent moulded rubber buttons. These are perished quite badly (shanks are breaking) and unusually they're worse on the back, in contact with the cloth, rather than the front that was in the light.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

If you need any of this stuff I recommend farnell.co.uk. I ordered it online about about 5pm. It cost about £4.50, with free delivery. It arrived via UPS (in the east of Scotland) around 10:30 the next morning. I call that impressive.

Reply to
Steve

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember Andy Dingley saying something like:

Now that's interesting. I recall coming across rubber buttons that had gone exactly the same way, on similar aged garments and had just assumed it was the rubber ageing process, through being exposed to atmospheric pollutants and heat, cold, etc. Every day's a schoolday, in here.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon