Is tooth brushing water from hot tap safer than from cold tap?

True - but still measurable.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

|> |

I apologise. I should have directed the blunderbuss at the OP. The point stands 'though.

Cheers,

Sid.

Reply to
unopened

Indeed, the current strategy of slowing traffic down seems to waste a small amount of many lives (extra time spent getting where you're going is largely wasted time) to save lives. There has to be a balance.

Reply to
Mike Barnes

|In article , | Dave Fawthrop wrote: |> |> |It's near impossible to get a *zero* alcohol count in the blood. |> | |> |> How so? I haven't drunk alcohol for years. |> | |> |It occurs naturally in some foodstuffs. And IIRC is generated by some |> |bodily processes. | |> As a dedicated foodie, **very** little. | |True - but still measurable.

Not in the case of most cooked foodstuffs where the alcohol evaporates during the cooking. Uncooked stuff does not get a chance to become alcoholic when kept in the fridge.

Reply to
Dave Fawthrop

Following up to Mike Barnes

I also note falling asleep is now a common form of motorway accident.

Reply to
The Reid

I don't want to eat cold fruit etc. ;-)

I'm also teetotal, but a recent blood test for a medical showed small traces of alcohol. The explanation from the doctor was - as I remember it

- the one I gave earlier. I suppose it could have come from mouthwash, though.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

David Hansen wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Yes, that illustrated the point David. Every time there's a rail "incident" we have inquiries etc etc etc. At one point there was a suggestion that pedestrians should no longer be allowed to cross railways at footpath crossings because someone got hit once. Apply that one to roads, eh?

Reply to
Adrian Tupper

The Reid wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

I don't think so. Enforcing 30mph should be a big step - apparently a pedestrian stands twice as much chance of surviving a 30mph crash than a

40mph crash IIRC.

The emphasis is on carful driving. I've never hit a pedestrian and many others haven't either. You can't eliminate all accidents because you have to at least rely on people to take care. If someone walks in front of your car because they're daydreaming there's not a lot that can be done. But for a motorist to stop paying attention and veer off the road into a bus queue (happened here a year or few back) is more serious.

Reply to
Adrian Tupper

Mike Barnes wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@g52lk5g23lkgk3lk345g.invalid:

I don't agree with that "utilitarian" viewpoint. You can't add up lots of small amounts of different people's inconveniences and say that's worse than one or two fatalities. We only experience our own inconvenience, which I'm happy to do if it avoids pedestrians being hit.

Reply to
Adrian Tupper

The Reid wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Yes, and I wonder if figures are available for accidents that could have been avoided by keeping distance. Nothing annoys me more on a motorway than some git moving lane so that they're 10 feet in front of me. That's far more dangerous than driving at 80mph on an open road.

Reply to
Adrian Tupper

The message from Dave Fawthrop contains these words:

Chatting to the checkout girl at Tesco today - apparently the "Over 18?" flag comes up for vanilla essesnce - it's about 30% so can't be sold to kids.

They'd have to be fairly desperate to drink vanilla essence!

Reply to
Guy King

According to the USDA, not all evaporates. See

As for ethanol in foodstuffs, find a devout Muslim and ask about it. Due to their strict dietary laws concerning ethanol they take an exacting interest in it. As an example picked at random, see the discussion here

on soy sauce.

Similarly, Irn-Bru uses a flavouring that is delivered in a carrier of ethanol. See the discussion here:

with the letter from Barrs showing that, amongst other things, EU regulations permit certain ingredients not to be listed if they form less than a certain percentage of the product. (This caused a kerfufle over the fact that labelled non-GM soya could actually have GM-soya in it!).

While it would be difficult to become intoxicated from the levels of ethanol shown, they are non-zero. This could cause a problem in some states where the permissable blood-alcohol level for driving is zero e.g. The Czech Republic, Hungary, Gibraltar, (there are many others).

Regards,

Sid

Reply to
unopened

On 09 May 2006 17:43:57 GMT someone who may be Adrian Tupper wrote this:-

This discussion assumes that slowing motor traffic down means journeys take longer. In reality what it usually means (in the places it is done) is that occupants of motor vehicles reach the next queue a few seconds later than they would have done.

Reply to
David Hansen

You don't need to worry. Its virtually impossible to be teetotal, just as its virtually impossible to be a vegetarian and is impossible to be a vegan.

Reply to
dennis

The message from Adrian Tupper contains these words:

Rather more than twice, IIRC.

Reply to
Guy King

If you believe the UK Department for Transport here:

the statistics are:

" * You are more likely to kill a pedestrian driving at 40mph than

30mph. * Specifically, if you hit a pedestrian while driving at 20 mph, the pedestrian has a 95% chance of survival. * If you hit an adult pedestrian while driving at 30mph, the survival chance is 80%. But if you hit a pedestrian while driving at 40mph, the pedestrian's chances of dying rises to 90%. (this lowers to 80% for a child)."

Regards,

Sid

Reply to
unopened

Unless you are one of those nutters with roo bars on their 4x4 as they are specifically designed to kill children.

Reply to
dennis

Thought that had been a common cause all time motorway has existed.

Reply to
Alf Christophersen

In Norway such driving is heavily fined :-) You are caught if you cannot say one - two - three with a pause btw. each word from tjhe time the prevous pass a point until you yourself pass the same point. On motor roads there some times are such warning points.

Reply to
Alf Christophersen

Oh I'm not worried. I'm not physically allergic to alcohol or anything like that. I just liked it rather too much. ;-)

Yes - I'd agree with that.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)