Is tooth brushing water from hot tap safer than from cold tap?

Especially if it's stored near a toilet.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Er, you have missed a couple of things. The water from the hot water tap is not so hot as to burn.

The cold water tap, as I said, is from a tank.

Reply to
David P

And yet that is exactly what I have got in the bathroom.

To repeat: the hot water tap is fed by a tank in the roofspace the cold water tap is fed by a tank in the roofspace

There is no mains water at all in the bathroom. Neither in the cold tap for the basin nor in the cold tap for the bath.

Reply to
David P

The Google link I gave works fine.

The link may not work on some configurations as its implementation is not fully standardised and that's why I gave both.

Reply to
David P

I think you have gor my setup wrong.

There is a cold tank in the roofspace which feeds all cold taps (except the one in the kitchen). It is refilled from the rising main.

There is a hot water tank in the roofspace which feeds all hot taps. It is refilled from the rising main and not from the cold water tank.

And then, as you mention the heating header tank, there is the heating header tank for feed/expansion of the boiler heating circuit. That too is in topped up (if necessary) from the rising main. It is best to ignore this tank as it is a red herring.

I use nylon toothbrushes.

Reply to
David P

Coilin, can you please clarify.

You don't actually say it but are you suggesting that there is a reg which requires the cold water tap in the bathroom basin to be fed from the rising main?

Reply to
David P

Um, that's the water we are talking about. Most people might use a slightly larger but still small amount.

Ditto. it makes not difference does it if the brush is rinsed in a lot of water or a little because the water left after shaking is going to be the same quantity.

Reply to
David P

Chlorhexidine is an excellent germicide but it can make teeth go an unwanted yellow.

Reply to
David P

Yes, but you were unclear.

That is not a hot water tank. It is a cold water tank. It holds cold water. The fact that you have two cold water tanks, one for cold taps and one for hot taps, is a little unusual.

Your question might be better phrased as "is tooth brushing in warm water from a clean tank safer than from cold water from a dirty tank?"

Given that this is uk.d-i-y, why don't you clean the "cold" tank and replace the cover?

Owain

Reply to
Owain

I clean my teeth with cold water (no toothpaste on the toothbrush). Then rinse.

Then clean again with toothpaste on the brush. Then rinse.

No sure where the habit came from.

Works for me.

N.

Reply to
Neryl Chyphes

That's what I've got. I'd guess that somewhere approaching half of all houses have similar. What's the problem? There isn't one.

Reply to
Chris Bacon

This is most unusual. Is the house very old?

The bath is normally fed with 22mm pipe to give a fast flow rate from the header tank, and unless you like cold baths there is no point in having it on the mains, given you're as likely to 'drink' some of the hot as the cold when bathing.

The basin is different. Many like to have a drink of water after teeth cleaning or whatever. Have you investigated changing it to mains? All the pipework going to the loft may well be together and of course includes mains. So may not be that difficult to pick up.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

See!!!

All your dental problems can be traced back to whether or not you brush your teeth with hot or cold water.

Made the wrong choice at the age of 3 years old? Too bad you lose for life.

Just thought that all the idiots out there might want to know that you made the WRONG choice. It could be why you are an idiot? :(

Reply to
Mr. Natural-Health

There is no such requirement. I am simply stating that I made sure that the supply to mine met the requirements for a tap supplying drinking water as set out in Paragraph 27 of Schedule 2 to the Water Supply (Water Fittings) Regulations 1999, because I knew I would be using it to clean my teeth.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
nightjar

On Sat, 06 May 2006 22:14:12 +0100 someone who may be David P wrote this:-

Are they both the same size?

Reply to
David Hansen

On 06 May 2006 17:19:27 GMT someone who may be Adrian Tupper wrote this:-

Ditto, decades of cleaning my teeth with water from cold tanks and I'm still alive. If some of the posters are to be believed I must be amazingly healthy to fight off all the bugs:-)

A sense of proportion is necessary. Ten people a day are killed on UK roads.

Reply to
David Hansen

The message from David Hansen contains these words:

Perhaps if they concentrated on the traffic instead of brushing their teeth they'd still be alive.

Reply to
Guy King

David Hansen wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Exactly. For some reason we tolerate loss of life on roads more than pretty well anything else I can think of.

Reply to
Adrian Tupper

I think those have got sodium bicarbonate; caustic soda is sodium hydroxide, which is altogether different. Caustic soda would be a very effective tooth-cleaning agent; the problem is that it would also be a rather effective flesh-dissolving agent as well.

tom

Reply to
Tom Anderson

IMNERHO, because (a) the deaths are spread out in time and space, and so don't seem like a single problem and (b) we all [1] know that to do something about it, we'd have to change our own habits, or at least put up with greater restrictions on our own lives; these factors combine to enable us to ignore the problem very efficiently.

tom

[1] Those of us who drive motor vehicles on the highway, anyway.
Reply to
Tom Anderson