Is this SDS compatable drill?

My big hammer drill got stolen, and I mow find that:

  1. Drills no longer have chuck keys, and must be tightened by hand :-(
2: someone has introduced SDS Masonry drills which looks like a good idea.

Lidl have a hammer drill on sale Monday 10 Oct.

Chuck looks like nothing I have seen before, so is it SDS?

They are also selling SDS drills

I have been crawling under the floorboards with a very old energy saving light which worked extremely well, so I will get one of these
hate incandescent inspection lamps which last no time at all.

Reply to
Dave Fawthrop

No, it looks like a conventional keyless. Rohm make nice chucks as it happens. The clues that it is not SDS, are the 51,000 blows per min hammer action - SDS would be far fewer, and the high rotation speed - most SDS drills run at 1200rpm or less. The blurb describing it as suitable for chiseling also seems likely to be wrong.

The "2D" design ones (square flat layout with "wiggly" bulb on one side) are nice because you can point it away from you and not have to stare into / past the bulb.

Reply to
John Rumm

On Fri, 07 Oct 2005 20:44:13 +0100, John Rumm scrawled:

The main clue for me was the line;

"With original 13mm Röhm keyless chuck"

I've had a couple of the 2D lights for a while, they only cost me about £20 a piece and have been fantastic. Considering the abuse they get I'm surprised at their ruggedness.

Reply to
Lurch

OTOH, they will now go tighter by hand than the old pattern did with a key (the "single handed" design is better)

Yes, it was a uk.d-i--y sneak attack to steal your hammer drill and show you what you've been missing. You _won't_ regret it !

It says 0-13mm, so I doubt it.

complain about the price.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Although if you sit one on a nogging of a stud wall and then your mate decides the wall is in slightly the wrong position, so sets about "nudging" it over an inch or two with a 14 pound sledge hammer, causing said 2D light to leap from the wall and make a rapid vertical decent down a stairwell, they do break! (DAMHIK)

Reply to
John Rumm

SDS drills don't use chuck keys but don't need tightening anyway though; they have a spring-loaded retractable sleeve which grips the bit.

Yes do get one; you'll find them a complete revelation although IMHO it won't replace a smaller drill altogether. The SDS reciprocating action is much more powerful than that of a hammer drill, and doesn't start reciprocating until you apply a reasonable amount of pressure to it; so I find with mine it's almost impossible to drill right through a housebrick without a large chunk of clay breaking out the other side. And I don't let it near really old, somewhat friable bricks which can almost explode on impact!

David

Reply to
Lobster

| Dave Fawthrop wrote: | > My big hammer drill got stolen, and I mow find that: | > 1. Drills no longer have chuck keys, and must be tightened by hand :-( | > 2: someone has introduced SDS Masonry drills which looks like a good idea. | | SDS drills don't use chuck keys but don't need tightening anyway though; | they have a spring-loaded retractable sleeve which grips the bit. | | Yes do get one; you'll find them a complete revelation although IMHO it | won't replace a smaller drill altogether. The SDS reciprocating action | is much more powerful than that of a hammer drill, and doesn't start | reciprocating until you apply a reasonable amount of pressure to it; so | I find with mine it's almost impossible to drill right through a | housebrick without a large chunk of clay breaking out the other side. | And I don't let it near really old, somewhat friable bricks which can | almost explode on impact!

As most of my masonry drills went with the hammer drill I will go for an SDS. Just found this on screwfix.

?slotName=HERO&ts=68786&p=x3&id=25646&homeRef=home>>> Robust construction for drilling and chiselling jobs. Features drill, hammer and rotary stop, safety clutch, adjustable front handle and soft grip. SDS chisel, SDS point chisel, 3 x SDS drill bits, keyed chuck and adaptor supplied.

1250W SDS Plus Carry Case £39.99
Reply to
Dave Fawthrop

Reply to
Jim Alexander

?slotName=HERO&ts=68786&p=x3&id=25646&homeRef=home>

Reply to
John Rumm

That looks like an extra 10 quid well spent. For any of the jobs you used to do with the old hammer drill, you would really hate that 6kg thing.

Reply to
Ian White

?slotName=HERO&ts=68786&p=x3&id=25646&homeRef=home

Yes, I bought a cheapo 6kg SDS drill (at a time when I had never used SDS before, and was yet to be convinced of its benefits, and can confirm it's very heavy to use for anything other than in 'breaker' mode, ie, balanced vertically on its chisel bit. I'm waiting for it to break down so I can replace it with a better and lighter model, but (unfortunately!) it just keeps on going...

David

Reply to
Lobster

It happens that Dave Fawthrop formulated :

That is an ordinary hammer drill judging from the spec., and much higher than their usual prices for this sort of thing.

Do get an SDS (SDS+), they go through walls (even concrete) like it was butter. Even the cheap Lidl/Aldi ones at around £25-£30 are very usuable, though a little heavy. Make sure it has a choice of hammer or rotary or both combined.

The bits to fit them all have a same size positively locating end shank to fit into the chuck, which makes them a little more expensive than normal bits, but they also last very much longer due to the SDS action. They often come with an adaptor so that ordinary straight shanked bits can be used.

They do not replace a good small hand drill, except for the heavier tasks.

good cheap starter kit.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Too true Jim. Heavy & difficult to handles, lighter ones still drill brilliantly, check out

example.

Dave

Reply to
david lang

Reply to
John Cartmell

?slotName=HERO&ts=68786&p=x3&id=25646&homeRef=home> >

That looks similar to the Power Craft Aldi SDS which is 900W and half the price and a 3 yr guarantee.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

0Q?slotName=HERO&ts=68786&p=x3&id=25646&homeRef=home

I see that Screwfix have dropped the cheapie SDS drills. They did have a couple of Ferm cheapies but They appear not to be sold anymore.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel