Is this reasonable ?

My vented gas water/heating...

How much does this lot cost ?

Replace and relocate (move about 6 foot from current position) gas boiler (condensing for heating/water).

Replace hot water tank.

Replace pump/valve and controller + thermostat.

TRV's on rads upstairs.

Flush system.

2700 + VAT ?
Reply to
phil

Based on what you have listed, it seems a touch on the excessive side. (understatement).

The material costs are around the £300-400 area, retail if good ones are chosen, so there is a *lot* of labour content.

Perhaps there are some practical difficulties that you haven't mentioned that would make the time to do the work lengthy. Equally, the supplier should have told you that.

I guess that it's a BG quote?

Reply to
Andy Hall

You may have missed the new condensing boiler in your estimate of material costs.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

It's not a BG quote - it's a local bod I know has done good work...

Material costs are new boiler + as you say 400 for other bits -> 1200 quid.

They have to do new pipe-work for new boiler to airing cupboard.

And everything in the airing cupboard is being replaced - which I have agreed to - it's a complete mess. The tank is not lagged - the pipework is unbeleivable. The MP valve and pump are completely unacessable - if they had to be replaced you have to start removing a lot of pipework just to get access.

I thought it was not too bad. They wreckoned 1.5 maybe two days work.

Reply to
phil

Similar to our situation, but replacing a living room back boiler with a new one in the kitchen, new tank, pump, thermostats, etc.. Quote is about £400 more expensive than ours (done last July). Took one day with three guys working on it. They certainly did work. You might like to say what boiler it is. If I'd been a bit more lively I'd have suggested one which wasn't ridiculed here for unreliability! So far, so good..

Paul

Reply to
Paul Andrews

I was quoted about £2300+VAT for a similar job.

Reply to
sPoNiX

At least double that I would say.

Sounds perfectly reasonable to me, based on experience of a similar job three years ago

MBQ

Reply to
manatbandq

Sorry, yes. I'd read it quickly as relocate only.

At that point it's becoming more reasonable

Reply to
Andy Hall

I had read it as relocate boiler (missed the replace as well), so given that, plus what you've described, I think that this is pretty reasonable.

Reply to
Andy Hall

Wreckoned.... I like it a.... very apt word for some of today's genre of pipe-workers!

Reply to
Jim Gregory