Is this going to work?

I'm going to be tongue and grooving some oak floor board ends in the near future (so I don't waste the off cuts) and I aim to do it on the router table. I've just been looking at suitable bits in the trend catalogue and of the two t and g sets that they sell, one is best part of 60 quid (professional range)and the other - craftsman range - is less than half that price. The difference between them is one can handle timber upto 22m and the lower priced one can only do it up to

18mm. Here's the rub; my planks are 20mm. I was thinking of running them through on the lower cost setup which, if I have this right in my mind, will leave me with just a wafer thin piece of waste on the plank which I can then trim off with a knife or something. Will this work or am I way off beam here? As I'll only be doing about ten ends, sixty dumps seems a lot of money!

xav

Reply to
xavier

If you use the cutoff from one row as the starter for the next row, the total waste for a rectangular room will never be more than one board.

Reply to
Grunff

If you're doing this on a router table with fence, just cut the tongues with the plain 3/4" cylindrical bit (or whatever) you already use for nearly everything. It takes two passes and you'll have to adjust the height carefully to get a good fit, but it saves buying another cutter.

You'll still need a wing cutter to do the groove.

Reply to
Andy Dingley