Is this a vented or unvented system? What's up with it?!

I've only lived in older houses with two tanks in the loft. So this is new to me!

My sister-in-law phoned me tonight asking for help with her heating system. Her house is about 10-15 years old. Original heating system. It's plumbed in ~8mm pipe AFAICT - quite badly - e.g. radiators installed 10 degrees off horizontal!

She has a hot water cylinder in her airing cupboard, and some kind of tank (she doesn't know what, how many, what size) in her loft.

Is this going to be a vented (open) heating system, an unvented (sealed) heating system, or is there no way of knowing without further quantifying the tank(s) in the loft?

She was phoning because she's had two plumbers out to it, and it's still not working properly:

One plumber fitted a new radiator in the conservatory, but it didn't work. He said her system needed flushing (quite possible - some rads didn't get warm before).

Another plumber came and flushed it, and said the conservatory radiator wouldn't work properly because it was just T'd off the kitchen radiator, and the pipes weren't big enough to feed two rads. The other rads worked really well after flushing.

The first plumber came back, said "yes, some plumbers might think that, but it will work" and proceeded to balance the system (he said it had never been done). At that point all the radiators were warm (some not hot, but warm).

Two days later, two rads upstairs aren't getting more than tepid. Not great, given all the snow and ice!

Any ideas? She's not even sure which plumber to drag back to try to fix it.

I've told her that she can't do any harm by adjusting the lockshield valves on the cold radiators by 1/4 turn then 1/2 turn to see if it improve matters (suggested taking a photo first so she can put them back!) - but ultimately the way the new conservatory radiator has been installed may make it difficult (or impossible?) to balance.

She's tried bleeding the radiators, but only water comes out. If it is a sealed system, then I assume that means she needs to open a tap somewhere to put some water in, but she doesn't know anything about this.

What do you reckon - balancing, some sludge left in, an air lock, an unwise addition, or something else?!

Thanks in advance.

Cheers, David.

Reply to
David Robinson

When I had an extra rad fitted a few years back on a conventional Baxi Bermuda back boiler system the extra rad never got very hot even after careful balancing of all the rads unless I turned the pump up to the highest (third) speed setting. Now I have a condensing boiler and all the same rads get very hot as the system is under mains pressure. She could try running the system with the extra rad turned off and see how hot the rest of the rads get (to eliminate problems with the original setup), or turn the pump speed up if that is an option.

Reply to
Professor Strabismus

What is the make and model of the boiler?

Reply to
John Rumm

water and the heating water are seperated with an air bubble. Is the boiler stat turned right up? suggest bleed rads with pump off, turn rads of, pump on full, then start with furthest rad and set the valves for heat, then work to the nearest to the boiler.

Reply to
A Plumber