Is this a bodge ?

Images of how end section of gutter joins with down pipe connection.

The gutter ends short and the two ends are held with mastic.

Is this how it should be done ?

Is it acceptable ?

There is a little upstand mid way between the two ends which leads me to imagine the two ends should terminate there.

Should there be rubber sealing strips in evidence ?

My experience of gutters is extremely limited but any I've done had an engineered overlap at the connections and a rubber seal inserted there.

Reply to
fred

No.

No.

There should be a moulded mark to indicate where the end of each section of gutter goes - to allow for expansion/contraction.

Yes.

its a major bodge!

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Not really - normally the joining pieces have an internal rubber seal that is designed to allow the gutter to slide in the fitting as it changes length with temperature. Sealing it solid with silicone etc is not usually a good move since you are in effect gluing the bits together.

In a normal joint, no. At the end of a run and connected to a downpipe - that depends on how much free movement the downpipe allows. If the top is free to move a bit from side to side as the gutter changes length it might hang together.

When "hot" yes - they may be left a bit short in cold weather.

They are normally part of the fitting - you won't see them unless you dismantle the joint to look.

Reply to
John Rumm

X2

Mike

Reply to
Muddymike

imagine the two ends should terminate there.

gineered overlap at the connections and a rubber seal inserted there.

Many thanks for the replies. It gave me the courage to tackle the supplier. He responded to say that the rubber gaskete are in place and the mastic is a belt and braces effort. Claims they used a low modulus sealant. Would t his still allow sufficient expansion and contraction ?

Reply to
fred

In the particular location where it has been used - quite likely since I expect that the end of the downpipe will move in sympathy with the movement of the gutter.

Reply to
John Rumm

Good story - must remember that one :-)

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

ow end section of gutter joins with down pipe connection. The gutter ends s hort and the two ends are held with mastic. Is this how it should be done ? Is it acceptable ? There is a little upstand mid way between the two ends which leads me to imagine the two ends should terminate there. Should there be rubber sealing strips in evidence ? My experience of gutters is extreme ly limited but any I've done had an engineered overlap at the connections a nd a rubber seal inserted there.

It's a complete bodge. Silicon doesn't stick to plastic gutter in the long term. The only way to join gutter or down pipes is with solvent glue, which melts the two surfaces together. Even this is not the practical for gutter joints; rubber seals and unions are for this. To hold down pipes and off s et joints use solvent glue

Reply to
Kipper at sea