Is there anyone other than me that is proud of this country?

I think despite the critics, people are telling me that the organisation of the Olympics has been very good so far with the result that people are happy at the venues etc. Of course there has been the odd breakdown on the underground, but apparently the back up systems and staff have been informed about them. Lets hope all of this good practice and helpfulness is not forgotten after its all over.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Congratulations, bozo. Killfiled at the first post.

Reply to
Huge

SPOT ON

Reply to
brass monkey

Stand by for the greatest hangover on earth

Reply to
stuart noble

Not many state schools have their own private lake to practice rowing on.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

but I don't think we should make a league table of it

Reply to
tim.....

You must have missed his other two posts to earlier threads then:-)

Reply to
ARWadsworth

Possibly due to the type of events. Rowing and sailing.

Zola Budd?

Now who will you support when interstellar transport is available and we are Team Earth?

Reply to
ARWadsworth

I was mightily impressed that after leaving the Olympic park last night I was able to walk to West Ham station and step straight on to a train with no queuing. London transport at its best.

Reply to
Tim+

Particularly the English language - when al else has faded, that one remains.

I personally believe we could be great as a nation. We have the talent available. What is holding us back is the fact the management at all levels from the government downwards is majority staffed by self serving incompetants.

Reply to
Tim Watts

yeah. People who can't spell incompetent really get one's goat.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

In article , tim..... scribeth thus

Jeez!,

Aren't we doing well, seeing the size and population of the two table leaders..

Best little country on gods good earth;))...

Reply to
tony sayer

  • That's positive.
Reply to
Mr Pounder

Not in dennisworld:-)

Reply to
ARWadsworth

There is a certain irony in being criticized by TNP on the subject of accuracy in written communications ;-)

Reply to
John Rumm

Probably also worth noting that if you have a particular talent in some of these sports, that is not unusual to get a scholarship to whichever public school is particularly well equipped to develop that talent. Hence there will be some skew toward the private sector anyway.

Reply to
John Rumm

+another one (except for recent mis-uses of the English language!)
Reply to
Roger Mills

No. Did anyone say they were?

Reply to
Roger Mills

I think it's rather sad that approx 50 % of our medals are won by Public school attendees. Pretty poor reflection on sport in State schools.

Perhaps you have cause and effect the wrong way round.

It's pretty clear that rowing is a "posh boys" sport but cycling?

It could just be that boys from well to do families, who just happen to be good at sport, have parents who can fund them, whereas normal people don't.

tim

Reply to
tim.....

Reply to