Anyway I took a leaf out of the Hubble book and sent it all off half cocked. I hope it gets there OK. Has anyone heard anything?
I know what the post is like at this time of year.
Ah, well. Perhaps tomorrow eh?

On Thu, 25 Dec 2003 18:39:41 UTC, "Michael McNeil"

See:
http://www.beagle2.com
--
Bob Eager
rde at tavi.co.uk

Preposterous idea, sending landers to Mars to look for life. With all the useless previous landings there must be some sort of life on there by now. We sent it.
Or was this expedition there to see if the stuff we planted has taken?
Either way a system of fully functional weather satellites would have been a better proposition for both Mars and Venus rather than sending out all those bloody toys!

What happens if there IS life there? are they planning to sell mobile phones to them? or what???
In sci.physics, Abdullah Eyles
wrote on 26 Dec 2003 07:01:05 -0800

We send them a copy of H. G. Well's _War of the Worlds_ and then ask them nicely not to invade, of course.
:-)
#191, snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.net
It's still legal to go .sigless.
snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (Abdullah Eyles) wrote in message

The value of discovering indigenous life off Earth is for the same purpose that people usually explore: Man does not live by bread alone. We (though this may not necessarily include you) want to learn, aquire insight, to appreciate the genius of nature. It ain't gonna happen by sitting here on our butts.
-Mark Martin
On 26 Dec 2003 18:40:22 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (Mark Martin) wrote:

Unfortunately a by-product of seeking life elsewhere is bound to include capture and conquer at some stage, as it is in mans makeup to overwhelm others.
I very often muse about what would happen if there were another race in another solar system which had evolved to more or less the same extent as homo sapiens, but had never felt the need of monetary reward. I expect that dear friends in the mould of President Blair and Prime Minister Bush would appear from the woodwork, invent some hotchpotch story about WoMD, conquer and install their own government and introduce this wonderful thing called "money" to kickstart their economy.
PoP

They could use leaves if they don't have printing presses. Different species of leaves would conform to our different coins. And there may be enough variety to spare so that different parts of their planet could have different economic structures and confuse their tourists and/or poison them.
And grow thorns instead of taxes. That would be good. And in the Autumn it would all turn to gold. But in the winter, silver.