Is there an electical typre person in da house?

I have a cheap smoke machine that works off 240v mains

400W 50Hz 2 Amps

Can I run this from an inverterthingy from my car?

TIA

Reply to
Vass

Providing the inverter is rated at over 400W then it's a fairly obvious answer. I would keep the engine running. Don't use it whilst driving.

Reply to
Clive

If the inverter can sustain 400W (not just peak load) also beware how quickly you'll flatten your car battery, and really car batteries are not designed to supply a constant load.

Reply to
Andy Burns

The uses of this boggle. Is it to throw a cloud of confusion around the vehicle while getting chased by the rozzers? Or a something to blast across vehicle number plates prior to getting flashed?

Reply to
Adrian C

I should have thought than an inverterthingy would be more cost and hassle than a cheap purpose made mains generator. I reckon you could pick a new Chinese one up for 50-70 quid on eBay. You could then make smoke without the need for a car to be attached............

What on earth do you want to make mobile smoke for? (just curious)

Reply to
Vortex3

....and consider the current capacity of the cigar lighter socket if you intend using that to feed the inverter.

Reply to
John

ah, perhaps should have explained that bit.

"Night photography" not driving!

Reply to
Vass

For 400w + invertor losses you'd have to use croc clips on the battery, not a cigar lighter socket. Best keep the engine running too

NT

Reply to
meow2222