Is there a word for people who still post this...

In message , Adrian writes

I'm sorry, but I simply don't understand what you mean. Would you care to explain?

For around 15 years, my browsers have had a blank home page, and I've been selecting 'Google' from the 'Favourites' bar. As 50% of the time I probably want to do a Google, to save a few milliseconds of my precious time, I recently made an executive decision to make 'Google' the home page.

Where an I going wrong? What do I need to update or learn? Please advise.

Reply to
Ian Jackson

Skipweasel gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

Insistence? No. It's just hugely easier.

(But I wish somebody c/would insist that everybody got shot of IE6...)

Reply to
Adrian

Skipweasel gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

You know you can install a Google Image search doofy in the box? Drop down from the right, image search tool, done.

Reply to
Adrian

I assume he means a browser that has a little google search box, like firefox does. No need to open google then to search for something, because it's always there no matter what other site you might be viewing at the time.

Reply to
Jules Richardson

Ian Jackson gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

IE (7/8/9), Firefox, Chrome, Safari - all have a nice simple search box. No need to have the search engine as home page. Just put the search term in that box, pick the search engine or site you want to search from the drop-down, done. Tab'll take you there from the main address bar, so no need to touch the mouse. Just tab-type-return.

Reply to
Adrian

Don't all modern browsers let you google from the address bar or a search box, thus meaning you don't need to go to the home page first?

Reply to
Clive George

Still stuck with it at work - no choice.

Reply to
Skipweasel

Yes - but it's no harder from the main page and it's right there in front of me, just as the search box is right there in front of me.

There really is no significant difference - just two ways to do the same thing.

Reply to
Skipweasel

Funny, I have four places I want to go to straight away in the morning. I want to see the Alex cartoon on the Telegraph web site, I want to see the weather forecast for my postcode, I want to see the stock market overall situation (FTSE in particular), and I want to see the Beeb main news web site. So I have buttons for those.

So I've never understood the point of a homepage. Not that this appears to affect the millions of dumb Windows users whose home page seems to be Microsoft, or the outfit that built their PC, or whatever. They sit there and patiently wait for it to load, then go on to do something else.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Exactly. You've configured it that way. Just the same on all other browsers.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Exactly. I always set a blank page for my homepage. Zero load time on Firefox and Chrome or about 2 seconds spent 'connecting' on IE8

Reply to
The Other Mike

And the reason it's configurable is because - people want a choice!

Reply to
Skipweasel

My homepage is located on my machine, so it loads instantly. On it are links to almost everything that I look at regularly. My homepage (which I generate from a spreadsheet) is used by all of my browsers and all of my machines, and even the machines of my friends. So when I'm using their machines, all the links are in the same position on thescreen. I can highly recommend this idea.

Reply to
Matty F

I loathe Google for various indefinable reasons.

I tend to use Alta Vista.

If you want your Google searches anonymised, add Scroogle to the search engine toolbar in your choice of browser:

still sends your seach to google, and returns the results to you, but randomises the traceable element so it isn't possible for Google to say which searcher is associated with which search.

TF

Reply to
Terry Fields

Hint: you can do other thing besides search from the Google homepage.

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

Google didn't until five years or so after my first dial-up internet account. Searching was "intersting" with WAIS and Gopher clients.

I have one but it's a file on my system so it isn't full of scripting crap and loads in the blink of an eye and has links to all the places I regulary visit.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Gopher's making a comeback ...

(See the Overbite plugin for Firefox ...)

Reply to
Huge

Interesting, have been exploring the sadly depleted extent of gopherspace lately (and we won't ask what happened to Veronica). I've been thinking of running my text-based blog via a Gopher gateway, it's not much but it's a start.

Nick

Reply to
Nick Leverton

and one for people that say, in a diy ng, call a handyman in.

NT

Reply to
Tabby

Google (or even the web) did not exist when I had my first dial up

Reply to
Mark