Is there a way of telling if there have been power cuts in the night or while out?

Maybe his mates found him later and got the insulation tape out of the van...

MM

Reply to
MM

What good is there to say about ~any~ government since 1945?

Look at the current shower of s**t.

I rest my case.

MM

Reply to
MM

You are not 40 miles from the nearest fuse.

Reply to
ARW

You need a proper one

one that displays the letters "PF"

Reply to
geoff

Doubt the pikes will bother with that, they know that a lump of plastic rope over the cables and attached to the four trak works very well;(...

Reply to
tony sayer

Waddya mean, "since 1945"?

Reply to
Andy Champ

I was born in 1946 so I really cannot say what the pre-war showers of s**t were like. Judging by the turns of history, not up to snuff, especially when the Daily Mail mob started out down the road to appeasement.

MM

Reply to
MM

I would think that they all have to keep records as you can make a claim if the total time cut exceeds some limit.

I succeeded in making a claim from EDF to compensate for power cuts without supplying any details of exactly when the cuts occurred.

Reply to
Michael Chare

Why? The fact that the clock has reset tells me there was a power failure.

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

I fitted some security lights to a house in a remote area once and every morning they were on in manual mode.

Only realised when I noticed the microwave & oven clocks were flashing, that there must have been a short power failure every night.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

You are less likely to notice an incorrect time unless you are looking

You can't miss the letters "PF"

Of course, on planet B&Q, where people have nothing better to do than argue for the sake of it, things are probably different

Reply to
geoff

On planet B&Q, just set your Christmas lights to "steady". If they are flashing when you next look, there has been a power cut ;-)

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

They only argue when fuckwits interject telling me I "need" something I ptently don't.

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

My server logs power failures via the UPS. We've had 3 small outages in the past fortnight - all between 6am and 7am. Because all our appliance clocks seem to have some kind of battery backup (they don't reset for small outages) it can be difficult to know. I did rig my server up to send emails when a power outage occurs, until the wife pointed out that if there's a power cut, the router won't work. I did start installing some software to send an SMS, but lost interest ....

Reply to
Jethro_uk

In message , at 12:18:07 on Tue, 4 Dec

2012, Jethro_uk remarked:

At my previous house most ADSL outages seemed to occur at exactly 6am or

7am (I forget). Try to persuade me these weren't planned maintenance.
Reply to
Roland Perry

That sounds more like a time switch turning something on. Heating maybe?

Planned maintenance usually has a man doing something and they invariably fail to do it at exactly the same time.

Reply to
dennis

In message , at

13:03:09 on Tue, 4 Dec 2012, "dennis@home" remarked:

Not if it's only once a month.

I think they are better organised than that when doing major planned maintenance.

Reply to
Roland Perry

--snip--

Consider yourself lucky then. Many companies won't apologize even when proven wrong.

Reply to
Mark

power failures of more than

Ours reverts to "power-save" mode and leaves the display and back-lighting off. Power save mode is only cancelled by setting the clock.

SteveW

Reply to
SteveW

When we got married and my wife moved out of her flat, British Gas had failed to take payments for 10 months. This was the second time she'd had problems. It turned out that Transco had the meter numbers for her flat and the next one swapped and each time someone changed supplier in the other flat, her bills stopped. It took some time to sort the problem out and they finally wrote off all but £80 of the debt. She paid by cheque, they cashed it, but tyoed the wrong figure into their system and started pursuing her for an "outstanding" £72. They eventually were persuaded of the error of their ways and they sent her a bunch of flowers.

SteveW

Reply to
SteveW