Is there a 'Screwfix' equivalent for garden tools?

Hi,

While I seem to be getting through again: a quick request for any ideas of the best places to buy garden tools (I'm looking for one of those long tree pruning devices before the garden fruit trees start leafing up again.).

Whilst there seem to be plenty of general tools 'Screwfix' alternatives out there, none that I have seen does much in the way of garden tools. Where do the cognoscenti at uk.d-i-y buy their garden tools?

All the best,

Spamlet

I've found B&Q to be pretty good for garden tools - had their own- brand border fork and spade with the soft grip handles for several years, and picked up fullsize stainless fork for a tenner last summer. They have a pretty good range of branded stuff too - used to have some nice US stuff called True Temper -don't know whether they still do it.

Seen the true pruners in there (manual and powered) but never used one. They're the sort of things that come round regularly at Aldi and Lidl too.

Reply to
mike

When I wanted some gardening things, I searched and searched. Found several and ordered from what looked the best. Eventually problems with the order meant I rang them - and started to realise that the company I was dealing with was actually masquerading under lots and lots of different names. (Not suggesting anything underhand! Just marketing.)

Point being, I never found a good one.

Both Axminster and Screwfix sell some gardening tools.

And the bizarrely named choiceful.com. (Anyone got any experience of them?)

And

(I often go to Google Shopping when wanting to find things. Very useful for identifying possible suppliers.)

Reply to
Rod

Lawson-his can be good for this sort of thing as well as power tools :

John Rumm

CostCo, Gateshead had a decent looking long handled tree pruner in yesterday. Didn't really look at it but had a hook/blade that would take something over an inch and a saw blade maybe 8" long.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

I've broken about three forks and two spades in the last three years. We went 'Bulldog' I think.

look for a split metal shaft that clamps either side of a wooden handle.

Anything that has a simple forged socket into which the handle goes will break at the end of the socket.

Why? cost SWMBO always get s me to dig up the really hard stuff, and then complains I have broken the tools.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

All socketed.

The ONLY strapped spade we ever found NEW was this one

The Natural Philosopher

I've ordered from Choiceful a couple of times, they're the only source I know of for Rentokil Ant Foam now Robert Dyas don't sell it anymore. No problems with the service at all, fast delivery.

Reply to
pcb1962

Hmm. I had a Bulldog anvil lopper and managed to break the anvil biting off more than it could chew. The anvil was a piece of aluminium bolted to the side of the jaws. No amount of phoning suppliers got me a spare one (and it's an awkward shape, so without a milling machine I can't make a replacement). So not impressed with Bulldog.

Gelignite...

... windows...

Reply to
Jon Fairbairn

Thanks Rod, it was very kind of you to look those out for me. Any ideas about what models to go for/avoid? (It is not easy to see how the various options work or how sturdy they are, from the descriptions and pics.) Would you go for the Hilka?

Cheers, S

Reply to
Spamlet

Ah, I'd forgotten them: now I did have a card somewhere - but my nearest would (I think) be Watford, if it's still there.

Cheers, S

Reply to
Spamlet

I wasn't particularly after spades and forks as these do turn up regularly in the more general outlets and the deals one gets nowadays on stainless are quite extraordinarily low cost. On occasion I have broken a spade or fork - or rather *it* has broken from being poorly made. Some are welded at the junction of handle socket and blade, and break there quite easily, similarly some forks have welded on tines which also break off on encountering the first serious bit of flint. Old style strap socketed ones tend to go rickety as the wood ages. Modern all metal ones are strongest - if heavy-, but for my preference the ordinary, socketed wooden shafted, small stainless ones are usually excellent. The trick is to remember that they are intended for digging not levering: any extra leverage required can often be achieved by putting one behind the other, but it is generally a good idea to use a crowbar for any seriously tenacious spots.

Cheers, S

Reply to
Spamlet

In most cases I have found B&Q to be very expensive compared with the same items at other stores - Wilkinson's for example - and with its own Screwfix incarnation. Problem being the range of items available at the better value outlets is smaller than B&Q, and garden centres seem to be even more expensive and mostly concerned with general Sunday trading rather than real garden stuff these days.

I do keep an eye open at Aldi and Lidl, but haven't seen much garden stuff lately.

Spamlet

No idea! However, in some garden tool areas, Bahco seem pretty good.

Absolutely agreed about difficulty in interpreting pictures, etc.

Reply to
Rod

Yes, it's still there, but if your card has expired you will be expected to renew it for £30.

Reply to
Bruce

I was looking at loppers in Google recently and there are loads of places selling them so google for Tree Pruners,Loppers or similar words

Reply to
fictitious

Do you still need to be employed in certain "categories" or can anyone joing Costco?

Reply to
fictitious

I don't know. I am in at least one of the categories, so not a problem. I'm not sure it is worth £30. I certainly haven't bought enough there in the past year to justify my subscription.

Reply to
Bruce

Yes, that's what happened with us: bought a load of multipacks of things at silly low prices the day we got the card, but then never went back. If we had one here in Luton, things would no doubt be different, but I wouldn't want to see them build yet another huge eyesore here on my account!

Cheers, S

Reply to
Spamlet

Has the sub gone up then? It was =A320 + VAT =A323.50 @ 17.5%.

Must admit I have to justify the trip to Gateshead rather more than I us= ed to. The savings on a couple of boxes of beer would pay the fuel but sinc= e the hefty antibiotics I needed when I bust me ankle a few months back I'= ve stopped drinking...

Last couple of visits have been done when I've been passing by that way =

for work.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice